When did Florida Code come into effect?

When did Florida start its own building code. I thought it was 2002, but a contractor is telling me to look at 2001 Florida Building code. How can I if it wasn’t even in existance. Thanks in advance

The 2001 Florida Building code did not take into full and enforced effect until 2002.

That is why the permit application date is so critical. Permits issued prior to 2-28-2002, may not reflect the 2001 FBC.

Also, within the HVHZ (Miami-Broward) the 1994 South Florida Building Code was enforced. From what I understand, the 2001 FBC is basically the same as the 1994 SFBC.

What are you looking for?

Was an access to a hydrojet tub required. I see it in the 2007 code but have no proof it existed in 2001.

Here is the 2007

[FONT=Times New Roman][size=2]421.5 [/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][size=2]Access to pump. [/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][size=2]Access shall be provided to circulation
pumps in accordance with the fixture or pump manufacturer’s
installation instructions. Where the manufacturer’s instructions
do not specify the location and minimum size offield-fabricated
access openings, a 12-inch by I2-inch (305 mm by 305
mm) minimum sized opening shall be installed to provide
access to the circulation pump. Where pumps are located more
than 2 feet (609 mm) from the access opening, an I8-inch by
I8-inch (457 mmby 457 mm) minimum sized opening shall be
installed. A door or panel shall be permitted to close the opening.
In all cases, the access opening shall be unobstructed and
ofthe size necessary to permit the removal and replacement of
the circulation pump.
421.6 [/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][size=2]Whirlpool enclosure. [/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][size=2]Doors within a whirlpool enclosure
shall conform to ASME A112.19.15.
[/size][/FONT]

Got it thanks…floridabuilding.org

**[FONT=Times New Roman][size=2]421.2 Installation. **[/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][size=2]Whirlpool bathtubs shall be installed and
tested in accordance with the manufacturer’s installation
instructions. The pump shall be located above the weir of the
fixture trap. Access shall be provided to the pump.
[/size][/FONT]

Try this website,

www2.iccsafe.org/states/Florida2001/FL_Building1/bldg1_Frameset.html

By the way, the Code book you may want is the Residential section of the FBC. The ‘Building’ section of the FBC is generally rough construction and Commercial.

Chances are, it is required. They would certainly have required GFCI outlets that must be accessible.

Good Luck

[FONT=Times New Roman]Not exactly sure of the dates these went into effect, but it is well before 2002:[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]IRC E4109.3 Accessibility. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Hydromassage bathtub electrical equipment shall be accessible without damaging the building structure or building finish.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]NEC 680.73 Accessibility. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Hydromassage bathtub electrical equipment shall be accessible without damaging the building structure or building finish.[/FONT]

This is more than a little confusing. Here is my understanding of the events: The 2001 FBC was developed and stolen from ICC with a few changes they threw in. The code went into effect and was supposed to be enforced after february of 2002. It was supposedly going to eliminate confusion about construction practices across county lines as it eliminated the AHJ or local code enforcement agency from changing anything without approval from the state through application.

It did not work. The locals still are in charge. The code is superceded by engineers on a routine basis and the locals approve by plan without argument or challenge. The 2004, 2005, 2006, revisions to the fl. code where implemented in Oct., 2007 this is when the law suit between the state and ICC was settled. If anyone has contradictory info feel free to post it. I probably don’t have it all straight and would like to, feel free to educate me. This however is my understanding of the situation here with respect to the Unified Fl Code. The accessibility requirements for the electrical components of the spa go back to before 1997 in the SBCCI.

The tub access became a requirement in the mid 90s.

You are leaving out one enormous detail.

Florida statue allows the Building Inspector enormous latitude in construction process.
The Code itself grants Building Officials the ability to adapt much of the code to the realities of the particular building.

What you are interpeting as the code being superceded, is actually the code working properly as intended. The FBC was designed to allow engineers and local Building officials to solve the problems that arise.

However, they still screw things up on occaision.