When realtors stiff you..here's how to pay them back...

Originally Posted By: jwatts1
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have a good story you will all like…its called “payback”

I get a call from a realtor stating that he needs a condo inspected the next day... it was about 40 minutes away, so I drive over the next day.... The realtor doesn't show up, the buyer doesn't show up... the sellers were present... and the realtor told me that he would sign my inspection agreement and pay me after the inspection... He said the buyer was on his way, funny... the buyer never showed up, nor did the realtor...

So after the inspection was over, the realtor called me and asked how the inspection went... I said the condo is in satisfactory shape, and needs some minor repairs.... The realtor, asked me, "so there were no major problems".... I said no, and started to give him my address to mail the payment and signed inspection agreement, in order for the report to be released... The realtor, just said, yea whatever, thanks, I will call you later.... No call back, he just wanted the place inspected....and a verbal that the place was in good shape. Shows you how stupid he is!
And ofcourse, I didn't get paid, or called back.

So here's the payback end..... I thought to myself, this guy wasted my time and energy. So fair is fair....

I called him the next day, and acted like a real estate seller, and I needed an Agent immediately since some people were making an offer, I told him that the house was being sold for 1.1 million in Thousand Oaks, about a 2 hour drive from Orange County....maybe more with traffic. And told him to be there at 3 pm, right at rush hour!.... He was such a shark over the phone, I disguised my voice with an accent that sounded wealthy.... after the call, I was cracking up!!!!!! Yea, some of you may find this immature, but I hope that it will show him what goes around comes around... I looked up an address on Map point to confirm a real address..and the stupid realtor didn't even ask for my phone number, so I assume he will be there promptly at 3 pm! HA!.......

Tell me what you think!
JW.

Originally Posted By: gbell

I think that you should go look in the mirror and ask that person why you got stiffed. The next thing I would do is find somewhere to learn about professionalism. You might even want to take the class twice.

Good Luck

--
Greg Bell
Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

I’ve had checks bounce from crummy clients. Ususlly the realtor is mortified. Some have even offered to pay me for the inspection. But, I NEVER deliver the inspection report, or NPMA-33, until after I have received payment and the funds clear.

As to crappy realtors, the joke's on them. Sooner or later, our paths will cross again. Either I will be selected without them, by their client. Or I will show up at an inspection for their LISTING.

Either way, the look on their faces is PRICELESS. Like a deer caught in the headlights... All I have to do is be professional, and thorough, and communicate clearly every defect I discover. Sometimes, they actually squirm. See, they KNOW they screwed me, and they THINK I am getting back at them. I'm not, of course. Just being professional. Its a mind game, that they started. Like the thief who thinks everyone else is a thief.

Oh boy... They die a thousand deaths, especially when they try and shmooze their client, and I have to correct them (nicely and professionally, of course). Then they protest, and that's when their true colors emerge to their client. They destroy whatever trust they have built. They were always out for #1. Their Cients quickly figure that out.

I'm a home inspector, and a damned good one. Its my job, and I do it well. I am a thorough and fair inspector. Most respect me for it. Slugs do not. Every slug has his day.

We all handle it differently. I just enjoy seeing them sweat...

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Joe…that was a good post, I couldn’t agree with you more!

Greg, come on! Be honest, if you spent an hour of drive time, gas, did the inspection and got the same response, if you woudn't be ticked... you have more tolerance than I do....

This guy was a shark, just his voice on the phone when I was talking to him was worse than a (car salesman) and that's pretty bad.....he got what he deserved, and maybe he will treat other professionals with more respect once he finds out that he just got played.

I really don't care for most realtors, there are some good honest realtors out there, and then there are the scum that lie on the bottom of the barrel, and this guy was one of those....... So it gives me satisfaction to know that he got what he deserved.... a taste of his own ethics!!!!! which are crap!

Take Care,
JW

Originally Posted By: lkage

jwatts1 wrote:
Joe...that was a good post, I couldn't agree with you more!

Greg, come on! Be honest, if you spent an hour of drive time, gas, did the inspection and got the same response, if you woudn't be ticked... you have more tolerance than I do....

This guy was a shark, just his voice on the phone when I was talking to him was worse than a (car salesman) and that's pretty bad.....he got what he deserved, and maybe he will treat other professionals with more respect once he finds out that he just got played.

I really don't care for most realtors, there are some good honest realtors out there, and then there are the scum that lie on the bottom of the barrel, and this guy was one of those....... So it gives me satisfaction to know that he got what he deserved.... a taste of his own ethics!!!!! which are crap!

Take Care,
JW

Nothing wrong with being angry...it"s how we deal with the anger that defines us.

Let them sweat in their own mirror. Sometimes it's it's not fast enough for me but they will.

--
"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him."
Galileo Galilei

Hi Justin,

Yes my words were a little harsh. With that said I do belive that it is your fault for getting stiffed. I always try to talk with the buyer if an agent I don't know calls for the client. I never give out any information without having an agreement in hand. When the agent called to ask about how the inspection went you should have told him that you can not discuss it until you have an agreement and payment in hand. Not that I don't trust you to do the right thing but my insurance does not go into effect until I have an agreement and payment. You do want both of us to be protected should something happen in the future.

As far as the payback goes I thought it was a childish act. If you are going to work in this business then you had better expect for something like this to happen some time. You have to learn from it and move forward.

I just realized that you are the one who started the female thread. So I do understand because you are just a kid.

--
Greg Bell
Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: eporter

The appopriate and more professional thing to do, would be to drive to his office for a face to face meeting with the Realtor.

I would have just been firm in my requirement to be paid.

I would also report him to the Realtor board. I would assume that scum like this screw people over a lot.

See who has the last laugh when he is no long allowed to sell Real Estate.

Everybody takes out their anger in different ways. The one's who take the high road usually end up learning something along the way.

--
------------------------------------------------
"Inspecting this home like I'm buying it myself."

Ed Porter
Cornerstone Home Inspection Services, Inc.
Grand Haven, MI

Originally Posted By: mtimpani

Ed, very good! Thank you for your advice. That was perfect.

Thank you, MarkTimpani

www.pridepropertyinspections.com

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

eporter wrote:

The one's who take the high road usually end up learning something along the way.

Worth Repeating

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Thank you Ed, much more diplomatic.

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: whandley

Hey Justin; In the future contact Mary Ann Whitaker @

http://www.creditbureauservices.net/

Provide the realtors name, all phone numbers, office address, home address,"Its available through DRE", home owners name and a copy of your report and invoice. They'll track and hound the party in question to all ends of the earth. They keep 30% of recovery. I use them on no shows like you just mentioned, NSF checks, UCF checks, etc... ![icon_idea.gif](upload://6VKizmOm2U7YYmfXNtFW4XTwFVy.gif)

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

A really good reason to have the inspection agreement signed before starting the inspection AND payment before any discussion of your findings or delivery of the report.

Erby Crofutt

B4U Close Home Inspections

Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Hey Guys, Greg and Ed…

Very good points, and yes, I am fairly new...so I was a "virgin" to getting burned....so now I will be smarter, instead of jumping the gun and not assuming the worst case scenario... Work and not get paid!

Good point, on referring this guy to the Real Estate Board, Do you guys have any info. on how to do that!?!?!?!? at least in California, I really would like to report this guy, and I am sure he pulls this act a lot, I am sure he has screwed other inspectors plenty....since he knew exactly what to say.

Take Care, and watch out for those Sharks!
Justin.

Will,

Thanks for the link!
I will check these guys out...

Justin.