Which is correct?

Picture 12.jpg
In the above picture, the “stucco” meets the manufactured stone in three different ways. Caulk, grout, and flashing.

**Which is correct? **Which is a concern/defect that may cause major water problems?

  • If you don’t know the answer… don’t learn from your mistakes… learn from an expert trainer.

According to the InterNACHI Standards of Practice**, and inspector is required to INSPECT the siding and flashing, and DESCRIBE the exterior wall covering.

What if the next house you inspect has stucco or EIFS? There are over 12 types of stucco and EIFS. Can you INSPECT and DESCRIBE them as required by the Standards of Practice?

<< The BEST non-invasive, visual-only inspection techniques (free video) >>](http://www.nachi.org/stucco-eifs-tips.htm)


Option 3. Send me my prize.

You are correct. But why assume that it is a MD-EIFS (moisture drainage EIFS)?

At the intersection of the “stucco” and manufactured stone, does visible flashing always have to be installed?

Not fair Ben , since the rest of the wall is not seen to determine if the barrier method was used.

I understand that is the common but not better technique.

Robert brings up a valid point; looking at the surface of the wall do we have enough inforation to decide what is correct? Some of the questions that come to mind include:

  1. When was house built or wall clad?
  2. What type of stucco is it? Faceseal EIFS, MD-EIFS, PM-EIFS, OCS, Traditional Stucco, etc.
  3. What were the details published by the stucco manufacturer?
  4. Is it manmade stone? Who manufactured it and what were their installation details?
  5. Is it thin cut natural stone? Who manufactured if and what were their installation details?

How are the moisture barriers and lath installed?

Did the same crew do both applications?

No one knows.

Depends on building “code”. This is where it is good to know and understand “code” and proper “construction standards” related to building materials and installation specifications.

In Canada - yes, flashings are required at change of materials (edges) on exterior.