will the i7 work for farming

I own a turkey farm that i’m always looking for ways to become better. I was wondering if the i7 from flir could help me. I use alot of different heaters i was wondering if this tool could help me make the best decisions on what type of heaters and where to place them. I use fans to move air around as well i was wondering if this i7 could help know where to place fans and what its doing to the air where is the hot air going and cold air going. and also to find out where the insulation is miss in the walls and celling. is the i7 worth the $2000 would it be able to help me. The one place that sells it will give me a level 1 training if i buy it from them. Is that enough training or is this all to much to do. I thought about having some come do it but i’m always changeing things. So is the i7 a possible for me to save on my energy or not? Please help me

Tom it does not matter what type of camera you buy it will not indicate temp of air or air movement. IR only measures or indicates surface temp of an item. Yes it would most certainly indicate temp intrusion as the result of missing and or lack of insulation on a wall or ceiling

Tom,
I found this video useful in determining which IR camera to use on my turkey farm.:wink:

Tom:

Thermal imaging may be applied to any situation where knowledge of thermal patterns across a given surface will provide meaningful data about a structure, object, process, or system. With this in mind, thermal imaging is often limited only by one’s imagination and new applications are constantly being developed.

There are many applications on the farm where thermal imaging may be used. During a recent tour of North Carolina colleges, I met an instructor who uses thermal imaging for swine farms. Specific applications included, but were not limited to: monitoring the temperature of thermal mats for piglets, monitoring spray cooling systems, and troubleshooting evaporative coolers for plugged water nozzles. Additionally, thermal imaging may be used as a predictive maintenance tool to detect problems within your electrical system and/or electric motors.

As Charley Bottger correctly points out, thermal imagers cannot detect air currents; however, you may be able to study the effect of air currents on nearby surfaces provided that they are of sufficiently high emittance. Thermal imaging may also be used to detect evidence of structural energy loss in your poultry houses.

In addition to energy loss and electro/mechanical applications, proper use and application of infrared thermography is covered in the Infraspection Institute Level I Certified Infrared Thermographer training course. Open enrollment classes are held monthly in Mount Laurel, NJ. Level I Thermography is also available via our Distance Learning Program. Both courses are approved by the InterNational Association of Certified Home Inspectors and qualify for 32 hours of continuing education.

Please feel free to contact me should you require further information. My numbers are listed below.

The Gas Finder cameras, can absolutely see air movement. Well…kind of. It does require a cold background and I do not believe there is a gas that could be used to introduce in to an area that would be environmentally allowed. So no manipulating the situation to produce the image like with heat and cold for specific applications…IE can of air for termites.

I guarantee you can find someone around your parts with one. They are used a lot in the oil and gas industry.

Thomas, unfortunately vendors often use misleading sales techniques to sell infrared cameras…or really anything for that matter. Level I training through reputable vendors exceeds $1600 as a cost. Since the camera is $2000, it doesn’t make sense that they could offer that for free. We have cameras that we can do level I with for free, but they are more expensive units that we can make deals with manufactures and training facilities together, then pass the deal on the to the customer.

My guess is they designed their own “level I” training. Do your research here on the Nachi boards and it will be very apparent to you who is a reputable vendor for training within the IR industry.

Jason Kaylor - JJ
AC Tool Supply
VP of Specialty Products
877-207-1244
jason@aikencolon.com

gasfin?ir.jpg

gasfindirimage.jpg

gasfin?ir_02.jpg

gasfin?ir_01.jpg

thanks everyone. I think they won’t give me level one training. The guy saling it has it and he will help me as much as i need to understand the i7. so what do you think a i7 be very good tool for me to better manage my heat and heat lost or is poor choose. how much better is the e30?
is it worth the extra $600

Tom would you consider just hiring a trained person to help you with your situation? I am sure a well trained and honest inspector, like the ones above, can do the infrared work for you. Just an idea.

If you just looking for surface temps and for the application I can get from above, why not just use a thermal gun? Cost about $60-$100 and I think can give you the basic results your looking for.

Seeing your more interested in the temperature of the turkey than the heater (which may be too hot for the I7 to record anyway), IR would work in showing you how the turkey really feels.

You can see the effects of the air your are treating.

Thomas,

There are some good responses above and valuable information from Charlie, Jim & company. The images that David supplied provide a good example of air stratification, even though you are not able to directly see the temperature of the air. However, David was not using an I7 imager (his imager is about 10x the $ of the I7) and he, like many of the others who have replied, has many years of experience and extensive training in thermal imaging.

Why not just contact a qualified local thermographer who has the equipment and training to help you get information that will be useful to your operation? It will likely cost you less in both dollars and time and provide you with more useful information. Look for a thermographer who is certified as a Level-I or higher in accordance with SNT-TC-1A.

Thomas,

Even though i sell the training and equipment used in the infrared industry, I agree 100% with Chuck and Russ. Hire it out.

Personally I do not think that IR is the solution to your problem. There are temperature monitoring systems that can handle your application. Over the past few years many of these systems have become affordable and very robust. This is just a short list of items you can monitor; temp, humidity, dew point, wet bulb, CO, Co2. Anything a meter can pick up, can be picked up by these systems. IAQ (Indoor air quality) has become a big industry for these devices over the past few years. I do not offer these devices but I can get you in touch with people that do.

JJ