In preperation for Bens IR webinar

There is a thread on Flir one for android and I phone. I just purchased on to use on my I pad. (I want to see what it is about and only cost a little over $200 at inspector outlet)

I am charging it up now. Today I will use my E8 (3rd day using) on a home inspection. (only using to gain knowledge and not including in report at this time)
I have been discussing on this IR thread and the replies have been great, one of the best discussions I have been a part of in my 12 year membership. Thank you!!

I will compare some images of both in a few days to discuss. I am more of a on hands learner then from books.

Again I am aware of the new guys using a $250 camera (toy) vs the big boys doing commercial jobs with a lot better camera then the E8 I have.

Stay tuned and I will have many more questions. (I have wanted to do IR for many years) And I want to make money, not give away the service!!

Oh, I am in training to be a Home Energy Scorer and this is some interesting material. (Ben has a video on it and I was approved to start training)

Have a great day!! Enjoy the party!!

Great idea!
See you later.
Happy safe inspection.

Keep researching Dave and be patient.

I saw the E8 when it first came out. A great camera for what it is. At least your in the 320x240 class already.

I thought this was a good picture from today. Except I failed to have the spot meter in the proper place. Agent stated the switch was hot to touch so I showed her the operation of the camera.

338416 IR 015.jpg

Use your software…
Don’t just move the spot, use a box tool and it will give you min-max pixel temp.
Spot tool averages everything in the spot.
“Focus, Range, Distance”. You need to get closer because your SSR is not that good in that camera. Fill the spot with only one color at least.

Note: Do NOT try to do everything in your camera. All you need is proper “Focus, Range, Distance” and you can do anything else off line. Get used to looking at all your scans in software and tune them to the exception. You may find several exceptions in the same scan and must tune them to what they are.

In this scan there are two exceptions: Both are insulation issues but one is hot and one is cold…

Someone want to guess what is going on here?

IR_1516.jpg

Heat from supply air on top and cold air getting past insulation on bottom.

I have used my IR camera on the last 4 house I have inspected. (Not used for reports)

My biggest question (there are many) is it is really difficult to determine if there is a leak or just poor air sealing and insulation. I understand to confirm with another device but what am I missing? I guess this is why I waited to use IR as I have a much better understanding of buildings.

Here are some pics from today. I assume it was air sealing (crappy insulation) and not a leak. First 2 pics.

Another home with a crappy inside water system as well. Pics 4 and 5 confirmed with a meter. 3rd picture is a leak under the laundry sink.

Question for Dave A and other. What can you determine with IR on outside heat pumps and AC units? Would it show a refrigeration leak?

Dave A not sure about your pic, care to educate me some more. Between using, ITA, Internachi I should get this down in a few years!!

338516 IR 045.jpg

338516 IR 028.jpg

338516 IR 027.jpg

338516 IR 037.jpg

Yes it is. I would say that 40% of stuff you see on the internet is wrong identification.

Situation#1: Your client got up at 6am this morning and took a shower.
You show up at 9am to inspect.
It is winter.
You look around with your TI Camera and see this:

Moisture meter indicates moisture.

What is the source of moisture: roof leak, pipe leak, water from the shower…

…or is it cold winter air above the ceiling. Shower moisture at 100%. Vent is working fine (pulling humid across the ceiling). Might it be condensation?
What caused condensation? (Thermal bridging or Thermal by-pass).
AIR LEAKAGE - MISSING INSULATION IN THE ATTIC ABOVE.

Yes, there is a way to tell for sure. But you don’t need to go there at this point. Just become used to using “Appears to be…” "Indication of…

When you go up into the attic and look on the other side of the wall-ceiling you will see an indicator of what the source is. Are there water stains, leaking pipes, or missing insulation. If you can’t access it, you need permission to cut a hole in the wall. You don’t want to do this unless your sure your right now do you? So you can’t depend on TI alone, or even used in conjunction with a moisture meter.

Like a ***** about all the time. You can’t take a pic of something and leave it at that. If you want to do a good job for your client, you,ll go the distance and gather the facts. (Which David does…).

That is what you can see, but what is the cause?

In this case we have heat from the register, but what is the problem?

We have cold area against the attic, but what is the problem?

The PROBLEM is that there is a supply air leak from the duct to the attic (above the sheet rock). The pattern shows this. There is a way to verify this (not shown in this scan).

Going up in the attic, the register was covered in batt and blown insulation.

Two things are required for air to leak: a hole, and a pressure difference across the hole.

Is there a pressure difference between the duct and attic air?

Is there a pressure difference between the attic and the interior of the house?

Air leaking from the HVAC to the exterior causes the air pressure in the house to be lower than the air in the attic. Will it leak in? Yup.

So the answer (in this case) was that significant air leakage from the HVAC to the exterior (in the scan) is causing cold air to pull through the insulation at the duct penetration and into the house (also in this scan). This is a 200% weatherization loss. So yes, it is more significant than just some missing insulation in the attic. This is why all ducts and duct penetrations should be sealed with mastic during construction.

Excellent information and very helpful for me. I am enjoying the training and usage of the IR cameras and I look forward to better helping my clients and hopeful make some more money.

Hopefully one day I can have the stones to start training and performing commercial inspections as this appears to be where bigger money can be made.

Maybe when I get some experience I could outline some steps to IR success.

Start with small steps (John M webinar, ITC free online training, Flir one (toy) and E6, E8, less costs) and then big steps (More costs like Level I, II and III and better IR cameras).

I really want to travel to Inachi in Boulder to meet Nick, Ben, John, Nicoli, staff, Kenton, see the house of horrors. Maybe some one would be interested in going. (could share hotel expense) Maybe a 3 or 5 day trip would be sufficient.

It would be nice to get a part day of skiing in as well!! I like the essence of going fast. (Not a mogul type guy)

Thanks again for the great posts and I may even figure out the wet and dry bulb one day!!

Here are a few pics from the Flir One on my I pad mini. The IR image is not bad, the I pad is cumbersome to hold, I had to remove case to install the Flir one. For $200 dollars not a bad gig.

Pic one Flir one IR image, 2 is the I pad with Flir one, 3rd is same IR image with E8. Sorry about the orientation with flir one IR image. (my bad)

Is there an extension available to purchase to not have to remove I phone, I pad cases to use flir one? I will drop and break if use with out the cases.

flir test 2 001.jpg

Flir One I Pad 001.JPG

There is no doubt you can make lots more money (even in the residential market). You just have to solve peoples problems, not just take pretty pictures. The word will get out. This year I did an entire sub-division for 1 yr builder warranty inspections with Thermal Imaging.

No agents involved. Contractors had to address my findings even though they were not part of Home Inspection Standards (because it is no longer a “Home Inspection”. Some had a pre-purchase inspection some did not. The ones that did, didn’t find anything significant.

Subsequently lawyers see this work. Then they start calling…

David:

Welcome to the exciting world of infrared thermography!

The subject of Thermography as a Business Opportunity has been the subject of a recent Tip of the Week at our content-based website, IRINFO.ORG.

Using thermal imaging as an adjunctive tool for home inspections can help an inspector increase inspection accuracy and may serve as a brand differentiator. Depending upon one’s market and the level of service offered, it may be possible to charge a premium for thermal imaging; however, these types of inspections have a high cost of sales and rarely provide any repeat business.

The real money in thermal imaging is in commercial inspections. Infrared inspection services for commercial clients typically bill out at $800 to +$1200 per day. Compared to residential inspections, there is a lower cost of sales and most inspections involve multiple days of work. Best of all, commercial inspections tend to repeat at least annually allowing inspectors to build an ongoing book of business that builds equity in their company. While there are many applications for thermal imaging in commercial facilities, the most common are infrared inspections of electrical systems and flat roofs.

In addition to being the Director of Infraspection Institute, I am also a principal in Jersey Infrared Consultants, an infrared inspection and consulting firm that I co-founded in 1984. Even in a depressed economy, our firm has been fortunate enough to grow again in 2016.

Presently, Jersey Infrared Consultants have five full time thermographers each of whom will provide a gross revenue of over $250,000 this year for infrared inspection services.

I offer the above to share first-hand experience with you and other InterNACHI members. For those who are willing to invest the time and money in thermal imaging, there is plenty of money to be made. If you are willing to invest in proper training, quality equipment, a solid business plan, and an effective marketing campaign, you can be successful.

As to the future of thermography, the demand for competent, professional thermographers exceeds the supply. This trend is expected to continue for the forseeable future.

Infraspection Institute’s upcoming IR/INFO Conference is a great place to meet with other practicing thermographers and explore the many opportunities available to you. Register and pay for the full conference before the start of the conference and you will receive a tuition voucher for up to 100% discount on a 2017 Infraspection Institute Certified Infrared Thermographer® training course!

Should you require further information on this topic, you are welcome to contact me directly. I and my staff look forward to working with you and supporting your future thermographic endeavors.

I have been doing a introductory course for level I thermography the last 2 days (from 530 to 7 this AM).

It is a must to have the level I training and more if planning on using IR for commercial inspections. The info on mechanical was over my head.

For now I need more coffee, some aspirin and go out in field and breathe some cold air. (need a break)

I really am seeing the difference in the various uses and training for IR. I am glad with what I have done so far. (Thanks John M, Dave A and others)

I feel I know a lot more this week, then I did the last and look forward to using my camera today on an inspection.

Ha, Ha, Ha,… :lol:

I told you that would happen to you, didn’t I?!

I have lots and lots and lots to learn!!

I am overwhelmed with what a level one intro course was about. For now I need to focus on inspecting residential buildings.

These IT free courses are great and this counted for 2 Internachi CEU credits.

The 1997 house I did yesterday was so bad (insulation, HVAC in attics, ventilation and bath exhaust) I did not need to use my camera. Recent painter covered most of the soffit vents, ice dams every where. I still am shaking my head in what I came across yesterday.

I use IR to Document those visual things you saw (needed or not).
That is what gets the word out about what you can do with IR.