Window Leaks/Inspector Detect Problem?

Originally Posted By: Christopher R Widener
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Sorry if I am posting in the wrong area, I just found your great site tonight. I have a serious leak on a front double window. Several people have told me the flashing is “bent up” so water is leaking into the window. Others have told me the stucco is leaking. Regardless, I have rain onto my window ledge (inside) and it even leaks down to my floor joists and onto the basement wall. My main point of this post is can I call a home inspector to give me an honest opinion on why it is leaking? My only dealing with inspectors is when we bought the home and I wasn’t sure if I should have an inspector look at it or just call a contractor. I appreciate any feedback as I am more than frustrated with the problem. icon_question.gif

Originally Posted By: Brian A. Goodman

Christopher,

If you know an honest, competent contractor you would be better off going directly to him (or her), in my opinion. If you don’t, a first look by a home inspector may be the best path. I’m getting more and more calls from people with situations like yours who simply don’t feel they can trust what the contractor is telling them, due to the profit motive conflict they have. The downside is that there is no guarantee the HI can give you a definitive answer, and may have to simply recommend a qualified contractor in the end.

The problem you're describing sounds serious. Water intrusion can do a lot of damage in a short period of time, under the right conditions. I suggest making a decision quickly and getting on with it.

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

I vote for Contractor. icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all,

Christopher, I agree with my fellow members, in the end you will need a contractor to sort out the problem, water entering a structure from behind the stucco can be diffcult to assess as some times where the water appears is not the site of the problem.

As Brian said water enteing the structure over a period of time can do a lot of damage and the structure can hide a lot of damage dispite the fact that all you are seing is a leak running down the walls, this can be a mojor problem with some stucco systems especially EIFS stucco which can trap a huge ammount of moisture between it and the sheathing.

the picture below hows the kind of sheathing and framing damage that can lie beind stucco
![](upload://579aCaSedy4oGgukMV1iTVUTQng.jpeg)

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: mkober

Christopher,

The source of such major water intrusion should be discernible. Flashing which is malfunctioning should not be difficult to see. You (or a home inspector) would do well to place a step ladder in front of the window, parallel to it, and climb up far enough to look down in the direction that rainfall or runoff will take as it finds its way into the house, including the roof. Also, if this is a single-story location, go into the attic above the window with a bright light and look for signs of water--dark areas on the framing, water stains, even darker spots of mold--and don't limit your search to just the areas immediately above the window. Water often has a way of moving laterally before dropping vertically. I, too, would be inclined to first go with a well-recommended home inspector before a contractor, and I'm speaking from lots of experience. "It never rains on an honest contractor."

--
Michael J. Kober, P.E. and H.I.

"NACHI Member and Proud Of It!"

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I would call more than one contractor. Not only can they find the source, but can recommend the appropriate correction and provide an estimate of costs.

Originally Posted By: CarlBrown

It could be the window installation was done wrong. It could be the stucco. Visit this web site and see some problems in progress. www.badstucco.com

If it was your house wouldn’t you want the best!!