Wire size for 50 amp?

I’ve got a 50 amp breaker in question and if this solid wire is in fact a 6 gauge or? I don’t typically see solid conductors past 10 gauge. The breaker just below it is 20amp with 12 gauge my thoughts are that the 50amp is undersized. Any help would be appreciated.

50 amp breaker can use AWG #8 or better is using AWG #6

No electric oven/stoves in your area?

That looks like 10 gauge and should be reported as undersized

Haha, yes I do but I’ve always seen stranded wire up to up until now.

That is 10 gauge. You will typically never see a solid strand branch wiring larger than 10 gauge. I’m not even sure they make it. You only see solid larger than 10 awg when it is bare (GEC)
But you also need to be asking what this conductor is for. If it is for an oven, they may need to run a new circuit, for sufficient amperage, not just changing the breaker out… If it is for an air handler or condenser, it may be ok, based on the unit’s requirements.
But If it is for a dryer, then you have a fire hazard, and the breaker should be changed out.

What is the circuit feeding? As Daniel stated it may be fine if the load is something like an AC unit. A 50 amp circuit breaker for a range branch circuit would require #6 NM cable which would be stranded. With the information given no one can say one way or another whether or not it is code compliant.

1 Like

Is a home inspector required to trace circuits? Verify what’s labeled?

Good question. I don’t know the answer and if I had to guess I would say no. What does the home inspector SOP say?

Regarding the OP, Paul asked directly if the #10 AWG conductors are undersized on a 50 amp circuit breaker. Given what has been posted so far no one can answer his question without more information.

Do you want to be a mediocre inspector, or a great one? To literally answer your question, no, we are not required to, and I never have. However, it is not hard to take an educated guess. There is a huge cost difference between changing a breaker and running a new circuit, and I want my clients to know if that might be the case.
This exact setup happened to me just 2 days ago, with a stove circuit.
The typical home only has 4-6 240 V circuits, so if they already have dryer, A/C units and water heater covered, (which may all be 30 amp) chances are the 50 amp is the stove, and it will need new conductors run all the way to the oven.

As you can see they make a 4 gauge solid wire.

Yes, I know they make it, but its typically only used for bare conductors (when used for GEC or EGC).
But I’ve never seen an insulated solid conductor larger then 10 awg.

I agree, I’ve never seen anything larger than #10 solid in a cable assembly with the exception of MI cable.

2 Likes

Same here.

I’ve never seen anything larger than #10 solid in a cable assembly in MI, Rob.

Were not THAT backward in Michigan… :rofl:

LOL Michigan cable good one. :joy:

I did think of another, cable armor used for GEC’s back in the day had solid copper conductors larger than #10.

If it a feed to a A/C unit, depending on what that data plate says it could be fine, if the minimum circuit ampacity is 30A or less, & the maximum overcurrent protective device is 50A, it’s fine, if it feeds a welder it’s probably OK, otherwise it is not. Motors, A/C, & welding equipment, are permitted to use wire & overcurrent protection mixes that are absolutely not permitted on a normal branch circuit, or feeder. NM cable, “Romex®” is limited to the 60° column, which means 14 AWG, is 15A, 12 AWG, is 20A, 10 AWG, is 30A, 8 AWG, is 40A, & 6 AWG, is 55A.

Yes your numbers are correct. One note the next size up rule would allow a 60 amp OCPD on #6 NM cable if the calculated load is 55 amps or less.

There’s not enough information to be able to answer the question.