Wires run under joists of high basement ceiling

Not ok as in the OP.

If the NM is on the board behind is hand it is not running “with joists”.

PS. The NM could also be on the board in the upper right corner of the picture. For those who are learni g the code.

Well butlers don’t know that stuff George… :smile:

2 Likes

Can’t quote something that isn’t prohibited.

More whine, butler…

2 Likes

Where is it prohibited? You probably didn’t know that you could secure it to drywall.

Sorry, alongside the joist the cable doesn’t get used for clothes hangers. Across the joists as shown it can be used to hang things from.

I didn’t say that was OK. Read my posts.

Sounds like you are saying it is allowed.

It is hard to follow his statements often.

1 Like

If you play both sides you can be correct almost half the time.

2 Likes

Not ok. Too close to the nailing surface. Lacks the required minimum 1.25" setback or nailplate.

Exactly, I agree. :smile:

not even close to ok…have You ever even met an electrician ?

3 Likes

Michael Parks, you cannot answer a simple question. Under WHAT AUTHORITY is it “permitted” or “not prohibited”? You will not answer the question because you cannot answer it.

You think you are some Hot-Shot coming here, where you are not even a member, and disseminate misinformation. The more nonsense you post, the more I think you don’t know what the hell you are talking about.

Every once in while you post something that has merit, that is accurate, and that could be helpful. But then, you come back with a lot of absurd BS and all we can do is question your credibility. The BS makes the good stuff useless because the people who need help with electrical don’t know which of your stuff is right and which is wrong.

I will tell you and everyone else in this discussion that MOST of the comments are very likely wrong and the ones that are right still don’t cite the proper authority. That is because none of you know! You won’t know until the guy who posted the questions in the first place tells us.

ANY code discussion needs to be within the context of the APPLICABLE codes. That is what you, Michael, and so many others cannot seem to understand. You don’t know which codes are applicable because the person who made the original post did not provide enough information.

The original poster specifically mentioned being concerned what the “City” might say but he did NOT say WHICH city. You guys who don’t understand how codes work need to understand that there are NO ELECTRICAL CODES in the United States that are universally adopted without modification. NONE!

Wannabe-code-inspectors are the bane of the home inspection industry!

4 Likes

Might as well join in. LOL

© In Unfinished Basements and Crawl Spaces. Where cable is run at angles with joists in unfinished basements, it shall be permissible to secure cables not smaller than two 6 AWG or three 8 AWG conductors directly to the lower edges of the joists.

Smaller cables shall be run either through bored holes in joists or on running boards. Nonmetallic-sheathed cable installed on the wall of an unfinished basement shall be permitted to be installed in a listed conduit or tubing or shall be protected in accordance with 300.4. Conduit or tubing shall be provided with a suitable insulating bushing or adapter at the point the cable enters the raceway. The sheath of the nonmetallic-sheathed cable shall extend through the conduit or tubing and into the outlet or device box not less than 6 mm (1∕4 in.). The cable shall be secured within 300 mm (12 in.) of the point where the cable enters the conduit or tubing. Metal conduit, tubing, and metal outlet boxes shall be connected to an equipment grounding conductor complying with the provisions of 250.86 and 250.148.

3 Likes

Confirmation of bias is lacking :smiley:

Lurking…

2 Likes

Simple ANSWER it is not prohibited. Now show me where it is prohibited