Wiring of AC units

Hi All,

Two new AC units installed. Wiring is not correct on left side unit or is it? This is the first time I have run across this. What wording should be used for this? I have tried looking in the IRC but cannot find the right code. Is it in the mechanical or in the electrical? I believe the answer lies in wiring methods but I can’t locate it.

Thanks in advance.

100_1344.JPG

Looks like they used a piece of an old extension cord to wire from the switch to the unit. I’ll bet the wire is undersized for both units.

The wire looks to be a #10 which is correct …but it should of course be in a whip ,or,conduit.
Advise to have an electrician correct it as it is unprotected and sub-standard.

Also it does not appear that there is proper clearance for those disconects.

It doesn’t look like conduit protected wiring to me.

I’d call it out for an Electrician’s evaluation.

Cheramie is correct. whip or liquidtite. As far as the clearance goes, it probably does not meet the NEC requirements but is way better than a lot of homesI see in this area.

It may be #10 which may be adequate for the units involved, but I don’t see how that can be determined from the photo.

Yes, it may be #10, but it’s not properly protected.

FYI, many AHJ are loose with the rule that allows romex to be used where not subject to physical damage, like in the photo it’s surrounded by large pieces of equipment. The one thing that should not at all be in question, NM-B is not UV resistant, therefore not allowed for outside applications like this. Flag it for that, and defer to a qualified electrician. :smiley:

imho,

tom

#10 is sheathed in orange nowadays.

Perhaps somewhere, but I still see a lot of white romex and orange #12 or #14 extension cords around here. I only trust what is printed on the sheath.

The 240 volt wiring at the A/C unit was not properly protected or encased. We recommend having a competent HVAC contractor or licensed electrician review the HVAC system electrical components and then repair as needed.

End of story…