Women Inspectors

Originally Posted By: Karyn Maguire
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hi all…new to this board. I’m a Realtor, which is another name for broke inbetween sales icon_smile.gif I am thinking about becoming a female,( well, already there icon_smile.gif inspector. I have seen the literature from ITA, it seems the most comprehensive for someone that knows only a little here and there. But I am looking to start my own business, not work for someone else and not work at this full-time. I just need a couple of inspections a week to keep me alive. Here’s my question: how dangerous is this work? I read things about electrical safety and panels exploding and I’m scared of wiring as it is. I’d want to turn the main off before I removed ANY panel and always use caution. I had an electrician work in my home without turning the power off. I found this out only AFTER he did the job. When I asked him, he said he was comfortable with it. I was NOT! Can you wear special shoes or use special tools to minimize the risks?

My other fear is roofs. I don't know how carefully the roof has to be inspected. I just know that some are pretty steep and scary. I thnk I would not choose to inspect houses with crawl spaces but attics too are places where animals can get in i.e. rats etc. and I'd like to know what you do to protect yourself from something like that. I mean, it's one thing to see one, quite another for it to bite you if you are crawling around up there and put your hand in the wrong place.

As for start up costs....I was thinking them to be pretty cheap, ladder, testers, truck, tools. Someone wrote that it would cost up to 20 thousand dollars. That can't be true, can it? I need any info you can give. I don't want to waste my grocery money doing something like this to find that I can't be happy or afford to do it. Thanks guys!!!

Originally Posted By: jmurray

The $20,000 is way off! It would be closer to 15,000-$17,000 for the first year.

Training $3,500
Tools $1,000 to start
Marketing $5000 to7,000
Phone(s) upgrade $600
Fuel =+$500
Vehicle maintanence +500
Dues $300
Stationary Supplies $300
E&O insurance $3000
etc. etc.

--
"A little less conversation and a little more action"!

Originally Posted By: chorne

Welcome,

If you want it than go get it!

Electricity is very scary to some and within reason it should be!
Caution and safty are critical to a safe inspection and a safe
inspector.

with roofs I think that there are many inspectors that do not climb
roofs. I worked in const. for many years so I am fine with walking
roofs. You can use field glasses and if they are the right pair
it is pretty similar to being on the roof anyway

Good luck,
Carla

Originally Posted By: John M Borchers

What could you expect as an income against the $15000-17000K startup costs the first year?

In my experience with starting businesses you need enough capital to be able to run for 1 yr with virtually no income from [in this case] inspections. Is this true for this field as well?

I think it would be too hopeful to expect a few inspections a week unless you are a seasoned veteran with about 5 years in the business. Am I way off line?

As for electrical safety. Really not much to worry about. I work with electrical stuff all the time here are some tips. However, do expect to get a shock eventually. This is most likely after you've become comfortable working around it and your defenses are down and you aren't paying careful attention to what your doing like when you first started working around it. Most of the time a shock is just a tingly sensation running through the parts of the body that are completing the circuit. Sometimes however it can feel like a sore muscle for 15 minutes or so if you got a good shock. When working with 110-120 VAC it will most likely be the tingly sensation and there will be no pain afterwards. The higher the voltage the more pain involved.

1) Always wear rubber soled shoes. This decreases your chance of being a good circuit path for the electricity to go through.
2) Use Electricians screwdrivers and tools which have rubber or other insulated handles. (I.E. - When opening a panel).
3) Use your RIGHT hand when doing electrical work. Using your left hand creates a path for the electric to run through your heart. If you can do the job with only your right hand do it.
4) If underneath a panelboard or other area you are working on / inspecting is wet use a wood or fiberglass stool to stand on. Don't stand on the wet floor or in a puddle.
5) If you would get shocked keep yourself in a position where you won't fall into and/or get into a position where you could be stuck on the electrical devices.
6) A special electrical screwdriver (I call it a hot tester; I'm not sure of it's real name) can be used to test if there is live electricity. Holding the handle of the screwdriver and putting the tip of the driver on a live circuit illuminates a filament (lamp) inside.
7) Assume everything is a live electrical part with shock potential (for instance a panelboard cover) until you know for sure otherwise.
![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif) Have a safety man. It could be a customer or anyone else with you. I would never work with electrical alone (Inspecting would be different as your exposure is minimal). Tell the person with you if you get shocked not for them to touch you cause then they will be shocked to. Have them remove you from the electrical contact by some insulated means (rubber pole, fiberglass pole, rubber soled shoe). Of course if you kept yourself from getting stuck on electrical power then you'd never have to worry about this.

I was very scared of working with electric in the beginning. Once I started working with it and realized its really pretty safe my fear was greatly reduced.

John

Originally Posted By: gbell

I was the one that stated 20 grand for the first year. Of course it is going to be different for each person. John some things you forgot in your list.

Laptop
Camera
Reporting Software
Supra Keys

When I started I bought two of everything. Just in case something broke.

Karyn each area of the country is different. A lot depends on how much effort you put into it. It sounds like you are looking for a quick and easy way to increase your income. If that is the case then there are probably better choices. It takes a lot of time and effort to become established as an inspection company. Not trying to discourage you just want you to have both eyes open.

Good Luck

--
Greg Bell
Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: rwashington

It is best that you really have a passion for being an inspector before getting into this business. Our work is hard work and not exciting. It is hard all the way around. But I along with everyone else here enjoy it. From sweating profusely in an attic to slopping through mud during a downpour on a construction site we do not have a glorious business. Why do you want to get into the inspection business?

Richard W Washington

www.rwhomeinspections.com

Originally Posted By: Guest

Karyn,

There's a couple problems and potential conflicts of interest for you.

1) if you're afraid of electricity, roofs, attics and crawlspaces you really can't be an inspector.

2) are you going to be able to remain objective while inspecting a home that a realtor colleague is trying to sell?

3) Let's say you go out and get all the training, overcome your aversions and become the most technically proficient inspector there is. Now while showing clients a home in your role as a Realtor, you see certain defects like wiring hazards, improper venting of furnace or water heaters, shabby plumbing or an unsafe garage door. Do you tell the person that's going to be giving you a commission about the defects? How can you NOT tell them? Aren't you going to be held to a higher standard now?

For an active Realtor to be a home inspector in the same market and remain ethical and fair to the client in either capacity, will be difficult, if not impossible.

Originally Posted By: mbartels

Expect to shocked every now and then!?!?!? icon_eek.gif

These are some of the worst posts I have ever read in my life! icon_eek.gif

If you are afraid of roofs, attics, crawls, electric, etc. Why on earth would you want to be a home inspector? That’s like a surgeon who is afraid of blood!

Now that I got that off my chest…

I have said this many times and my fingers are starting to get tired of typing the same thing and my jaw is tired from talking to the people who call me and ask how to become a home inspector.

First thing I would suggest is to go to a NACHI,ASHI,or NAHI meeting and talk face to face with some full time inspectors. They can talk faster than most of us can type. If after lurking around the meetings and talking with people in the field you are still interested…

#1. Start saving money now

#2. Save a lot more money

#3. Start reading every thing you can get your hands on.

#4. Look into your local college for classes on HVAC, Plumbing, Electric, Carpentry, Building and or construction maintenance and or management/repair. (and anything else that deals with building and construction materials.)

#5. Learn as much as you can about all these things and how they work and are built.

#6. Go to ITA, AHIT, or whatever school fits you best. These schools will teach you how to inspect the items that you now know so much about from your reading and college courses.

#7. Save some more money!(you don’t have enough yet )

#8. Do inspections on friends, family and everyone you can think of homes.

#9.Save some more money.

#10. Go back to the electrical training and remind yourself that you should not get fried every now and then. When you do sloppy work you endanger the lives of others and yourself. This is not a joke. It is a life and death matter.

#11. Save some more money. This time it’s not for you but for the guy who refers to certain electrical tools as “hot testers”. This money will be used to help his grieving family pay for the funeral expenses.

From your training and through this message board you will pick up on ways to market your skills. It’s up to you now!

As far as money is concerned, you will most likely need a lot.

I would say that the $20,000 for the fist year is correct and depending on your market conditions could be much more.

Don’t expect to make any money your first year. There are many people on this board that have done great their first year or 2 but more often than not you can expect to starve. The few inspections you do get will go to paying for more marketing, association fees, insurance, tools, clothes, reports, etc.

Still sound like fun?

For me it is and it could be for you too! Just make sure that this is right for you before you invest too much time and money.

THIS IS NOT A GET RICH QUICK SCHEME!

TRUST ME ON THIS ONE!

It will most likely take a good while to establish a good name for yourself in your territory. Most people get their work from real estate agents who are hesitant about referring someone new.

It takes time

It takes money

It take a passion for what you do

If you have all that, I’ll see you at a convention some time!

Good luck to you.

www.overbrookhomeinspection.com

It’s not over till you’re underground

Originally Posted By: John M Borchers

Greenlee Hot Rod (HR1)

![](upload://mjpIhP4netx9OdFHhDrPWTricyC.gif)

Features:
Two tools in one: screwdriver PLUS voltage presence alert. Handle flashes red.
Features/Benefits:
Detects the presence of voltage (50-600VAC) on current carrying conductors.
Bright red LED warns of voltage presence.

Was I that far off? Nope.

Quote:
Expect to shocked every now and then!?!?!?

I think what I wrote is: Expect to get shocked eventually. If you work around and inspect it long enough it's going to happen.
Quote:
#11. Save some more money. This time it's not for you but for the guy who refers to certain electrical tools as "hot testers". This money will be used to help his grieving family pay for the funeral expenses.

That's what it is a "Hot Tester". If you weren't so cocky you'd probably have a better business prospectus. I see you are losing customers to other inspectors here. I wonder why? Gosh darn the bad luck eh?

Thanks for everyone’s response. I really appreciate it. No, I don’t have a “passion” for this profession. I am looking for something that affords me flexibility so that I can work my other two businesses and this one just happens to be something I think I could do. When I think of passion, I think more of being an artist etc. I am a musician and I have hobbies, those I can muster some passion for. I don’t think most of us have a passion for our jobs. I worked a desk job for many years but I didn’t have passion for it. It supported my family, period. And yes, I am scared of hot wires, but then I have installed light fixtures etc. in my own home. I was a single mother so, I was forced to do those kinds of things to save money. I guess what I’m really scared of is the unknown, i.e. sloppy, outdated wiring that you might find and it’s hazardous. I plan on dying peacefully in my sleep, not being fried icon_smile.gif The way some people described it, you just might come across this sort of thing. Maybe if I refused older homes, I’d fare better.

Secondly, I am mildly afraid of heights but I do get on my own roof and clean it every year. What scares me is steep roofs and the fact of getting on and off the roof. Maybe if I had the right ladder for the job, I wouldn't be scared about it. I think practice takes away those sorts of fears. Crawl spaces.....well, I've been under them before, in fact I once had to remove a dead animal from insulation under there once for a relative. Is that something most people like? I kind of doubt it. I probably would do it IF it looked as though there were not spiders and rats living there, same for attics. I've been up there in mine and there are mice, can't figure how they get in , but they are there...but most of my attic is not accessible because there is blown insulation in it. That's probably true of a lot of them.

I have experience in building(for myself) having built a deck 18 x 20(with no help at all) last year, a carport the year before and fences, horse stalls etc. I don't claim to be a carpenter, but I aspire to be a woodworker someday when I have the time. I have a scrollsaw and a lathe( I don't know how how to use the lathe yet) so I am not just into "girly" things(and I'm NOT gay either guys, very much hetero!).

And in response to being unethical in the same market as a Realtor. Well, I suppose some people have that potential, but I make it my point in life to live by the Golden Rule. I sleep well that way. Yes, If I saw faulty wiring or something that needed fixing, I would point it out to my clients. After all, I write and advise people to put these sorts of repairs in the contract and I try to protect people. A lot of people are ignorant when it comes to houses. Chances are though, that just walking thru the house, you'd NEVER see that sort of thing because that's exactly WHY people hire inspectors. And most Realtors go by the rule that buyers have to beware. They need to have an inspection before they buy the property. Sometimes I will walk thru a house with an addition that was clearly built by the owner and looks as such. Me personally, I wouldn't touch it, but other people want to buy that sort of thing. I can't decide that for a client. Everyone is looking at something different, might be location, potential or the fish pond. I can't steer people to buy what I like and what I think is in good condition. I can only try to advise and protect them legally thru writing an effective contract(which is why people need Realtors)I think if you steer clear of inspecting homes you list or sell, you'd be fine. If you happened to be less than honest, your Realtor friend would end up not using you and you'd be sued. What would be the point for the 300 bucks? That's what an inspection goes for in my city.

And "getting rich quick", well, any business goes thru a building period, but you do make SOME money at it. With my other business, I had slim pickens my first year but it seemed that everytime I got worried about the light bill, I'd get a call. It's been anxiety provoking but it's better now.

I never meant that I'd start out getting work every week, but the guys in my area are booked solid during the summer. What does a Realtor that needs an inspection do? Hires one that can do the work, that's a good way to get out there. I think this is a great site. Thanks for posting answers. Maybe I will see you at a convention.

Originally Posted By: mbartels

Here is my best advise to respond to you’re posts. This also goes for everyone who runs multiple businesses. Choose the career that you enjoy the most. Take all the time, energy, passion, and money you have and put it in one thing. If you take all the money you would spend to start inspecting homes and put it in to your real estate sales career, you would not need to have 2 or 3 businesses. My advice is to focus on one thing and do it well.

My 2 cents

www.overbrookhomeinspection.com

It’s not over till you’re underground

The only problem is that I am currently working 3 jobs trying to stay afloat while I build my real estate business. I have no backup to pay bills, so I have no choice unless I pitch a tent. Your assumption here is that Realtors make a lot of money. I have found that most don’t. With the company you work for taking over half what you earn, you end up making less than that office job you had with the health insurance plan. And as recently happened to me, a lot of contracts fail and you make ZERO dollars, no matter how hard you worked. ONLY after you’ve paid your dues in this industry do you do well. That’s why so many people enter and leave the profession. It takes years to build a real estate career. Most people that stay in it have a husband or wife making a salary. Therefore, I am looking for something in the interim to build alongside that career so that I can do due diligence and eventually work only at real estate. Inspections are at least relavent to the industry I have chosen. And service businesses are at least money you can be paid for, they are not contingent on someone’s financing, changing their minds and in general utter wastes of time when you find that the “clients” only wanted you to take them for joy rides around the countryside and you have no money to buy gas to take you home (been there) . After inspecting for three days straight, buying lunch and logging hundreds of miles on your car, inspection clients don’t tell you well, we rented a place now, we changed our minds about the area, we can’t pay that much etc. etc. etc. Patience is a virtue in real estate because people are fickle and will work with you and then go call another agent on a house that they like. It’s happened to everyone. So, before you condemn me for looking at a profession that pays, think about what it takes to make a buck in real estate. Think about how many times you looked at cars before you actually bought one, or shopped for furniture or a tv. The only difference is that YOU spent your money and time doing that, not someone else’s. In real estate, the agent pays for everything and gets nothing unless the deal actually closes. How we pay bills in the meantime is however we can because most of us don’t have stockpiles of money to tide us over for months inbetween a sale.

Originally Posted By: mpatton

Karyn,

I may have missed it in one of your previous posts but what state/city are you located in? Are you in a rural area, inner city or in the suburbs?

--
Michael Patton
AA Home Inspection
Serving Northern KY & Greater Cincinnati OH

AA@AAHomeInspection.net
www.AAHomeInspection.net

gbell wrote:
I was the one that stated 20 grand for the first year. Of course it is going to be different for each person. John some things you forgot in your list.

Laptop
Camera
Reporting Software
Supra Keys

I was trying to be encouraging! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--

chorne wrote:
Welcome,

If you want it than go get it!

Electricity is very scary to some and within reason it should be!
Caution and safty are critical to a safe inspection and a safe
inspector.

with roofs I think that there are many inspectors that do not climb
roofs. I worked in const. for many years so I am fine with walking
roofs. You can use field glasses and if they are the right pair
it is pretty similar to being on the roof anyway

Good luck,
Carla

You forgot to mention Nick's roof inspectacam (or whatever it's called)!
I haven't heard much about it after the field test stages!
i would think there would be a post about it every week for the next year!

--

Originally Posted By: kvissage

Karyn,

Welcome to the board. It’s nice to have another Karen on board, even if you don’t know how to spell it: Karen

You'll find good, eye-opening information on these board that can help you.

Many things can be overwhelming about getting into HI. Some will scare you off. They can't handle the female competition. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

It is one of those professions you've got to go at it with gusto!

Wishing you the best in your research and decision process.

Karen

The ladies might want to give her some more specific info!

She might have children!

“A little less conversation and a little more action”!

Thanks Karen! I think in general men feel that this profession is theirs. But then, men have invaded some professions that women used to own. I am pretty used to having women(and men) think I am strange because I do build things and do my own oil changes. Of course, it’s mostly because I am so cheap, not because I enjoy it that much. I am still on the fence, but I do think it is something I would be good at and that it would allow me to stay working on my own. The last thing I want to do is give up and go back to waking up at 6am and fighting traffic to an office job.

Jmurray....have no idea what you are talking about. I have grown children. I must have said something to illicit that response, though I have no idea what it would be. I'm actually a lot older than most people who would choose starting all over, but I can still get around ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

I am in hurricane city here waiting for the storm. Although I am in north central fl, so we get the outskirts(hopefully). I guess when it's all over, I'll be inspecting my front yard!

Originally Posted By: Brian A. Goodman

I am still on the fence, but I do think it is something I would be good at and that it would allow me to stay working on my own. The last thing I want to do is give up and go back to waking up at 6am and fighting traffic to an office job.

This is just a wild shot Karyn, but have you considered appraisal? In terms of schedule flexibility and pay it's as good or better, but you don't have to do roofs, crawl spaces, electrical panels, etc. You give the property a general looking over and measure it, then leave to do the appraisal on a computer back at home/office. Licensing requirements vary state by state, you'd have to check in yours. Just a thought. I've been self-employed for 11 years and there's no way I could go back to a "real job" without pondering suicide daily.

Thanks Brian, for the suggestion. It is one I considered. IN Fl, you have to take 2 courses and then apprentice for 2 yrs. That puts getting into business a long way off. And it mean you have to work for two more years at a desk job. That’s why I considered HI. That profession is not regulated in Fl at this time. This is the reason I wanted to attend a top notch school because I have seen a lot of 500 dollar schools that spend some video time etc. and I don’t feel you could learn everything you need to know by book. If I EVER grow up, I can figure out what I want to do. I think one thing for me, is that I worked in the business world for 25 yrs and I dragged myself to work everyday to support my family and now that I’ve considered self employment, I can’t turn back. I like being in charge of my destiny. I feel somehow like I have to make up for lost time. I spent many years just existing. Which means I want to try everything. I think everyone would benefit from finding out more about these sorts of professions in high school, about the ability to become self employed. I went to college thinking that I’d make more money. I think that there are plenty of jobs where you make more money in a vocation. I probably would have still chosen college personally, but to know that I have so many options now is awesome.

I also have in the back of my mind a possible move to a location out west. Since every state has different regulations for professions, I may move somewhere where Appraising becomes a possibility, but if I have to put two mores years into that, I might as well get a graduate degree in something and go that route.