Wondering how some of you guys do it ..

Originally Posted By: mtimpani
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Allen, I would also like to know…

Thank you, MarkTimpani

www.pridepropertyinspections.com

Originally Posted By: dbowers

Several national surveys of their members have been done over the years by groups like ASHI and varied state or regional associations over the years to determine things like what type of report most people use; how many inspections they do a year; what their average cost per inspection is; how long it takes to inspect the average house (up to about 2500 sf); and many other variables. They have had thousands of members respond to their surveys.

The last time I saw one of the surveys was about 3 years ago. The national average for inspecting a 2500 sf (+/-) house was about 2.5-3 hours if memory serves correctly (may have been 2.5-3.5).

In my area many realtors have identified 1.5 hours as the amount of time it should take an inspector to do the average house. More than than that is considered poky. Oh well!!

As a past home builder; a 26 year home inspector; and national trainer when someone tells me they consistently take 3.5 to 5 hours (or longer) to inspect the average house - its telling me they don't know how to look or what to look for. Thats well past thorough - thats overkill or reporting on trivia or talking about everything that falls out of their mouth.

Originally Posted By: loconnor

As an instructor Dan, I would believe that you would expect someone just starting out, would take longer than a veteran HI as yourself.

Maybe after 4-6 months (or more, depending on the # of inspections), then you would expect that time to be shorter. But 1 1/2 hours? I saw a post here about a year ago by a veteran HI who said, if you're spending less than 2 hours in an inspection, you're not doing your job.

In the long run, I guess it comes down to the HI and his client, in determining the length of the inspection.

How do some of you schedule your multiple inspections per day? How do you know how much time to allow between inspections?

--
Larry
Western Michigan NACHI Chapter
http://www.w-michigan-nachi.org

"We confide in our strength
without boasting of it.
We respect that of others
without fearing it"
Thomas Jefferson

Originally Posted By: vsantos

I do a thorough job that only my client can appreciate. My client from yesterday told me one of the determining factors was the amount of time I told him I spend on the home. The IHINA membership was the main factor for him.

When I inspect a home, I encourage my client to ask questions. This of course adds to the time of the inspection, particularly yesterdays. I find the more problems I come across the longer the inspection takes.

One thing I do need to work on is my reporting. I use the Report Host and am finding I have to add a lot to it in order to get a good report. It takes me as much time to write the report as it does for some of you to inspect the property. Perhaps I should switch to the 3D reporting to see if that speeds up that aspect of the inspection.

Originally Posted By: pkrzemien

I’ve been using 3D for a few years now and currently run it on a tablet pc. The software just can’t get anymore versitle. You can design your own forms, modify existing ones or buy some elses’ form set. It’s not perfect mind you, (what software is?), but it is pretty darn good. You can add stock comments either when designing a form or on the fly in the field. The more you use it, (and add your own comments), the less you have to write the next inspection. It can print to .pdf although I use Acrobat 7 Pro to further reduce the file size for emailing. Anyway have been pleased with it and continue to get the upgrades. Just my two cents worth.

Originally Posted By: tallen

ahalstead wrote:
I have only been a member since january, but starting to become somewhat busy. I have to wonder how some of you guys find the time to write so many posts to this message board. Between my typical 3 - 4 hour inspection, 2-3 hours to write a report, 4-6 inspections a week AND keeping busy with RE work, my son, my girlfriend and marketing my services, I find it difficult just to find time to read the postings on the message boards...let alone reply to any.
My hat is off to you guys who offer good positive postings and remark on the questions posed by others. ![eusa_clap.gif](upload://vwXJP6EroRUgatgS660IOyuD5XK.gif)

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/G/Get_up_Early_and_we_work_all_day_-_Song_Clip1.wav ]

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_cool.gif Hi. to all you guys out there and hope you are all doing fine.

I am fairly new to this business, and need your help.
I am 54 years old and have worked Building Construction in Maine, now, for 40 years, taught by my Father. I have been with the same Building Contractor for 35 years and now on the second generation. Not quite ready for the third, that is now 16 years old. ha. ha..
I joined NACHI last year and have enjoyed their services, and think the world of this organization, for it's resourses and informative values that they put out. Thank you NACHI.

My dilemma, is the fact of doing three inspections, so far, which I do not mind, because it is part time. I do not get call backs. I have not been advertising, because I do this on weekends only, or after six. It seems that the way I report the inspections, might be to much. It is more of a narrative style than the usual check box report. Since I do this work everyday, I kind of take it to the next step, which to some, could sound to technically exhaustive. It probably is my nature at this point to get technical. I have been requested for inspections on a condo in Waterville, Maine and found that I was under priced by a local firm for my fee of $280 dollars for 1000 s.f., and the other firm did the job for $190. I can not compete with that. My inspection will last 2 and 1/2 hours and the report will take at least 2 hours. Their report as I saw on their web page is a check box style. The side walk is concrete. The porch is of wood. The driveway is pavement. The siding is lap siding. Needs paint. This is boring, and uninformative to the owner. Their is more to a house inspection than to just point out what the composition of the material is.

Since I do this to eventually think of doing this work when I retire, It dose not bother me if I get the job. What bothers me is the fact the potential buyer is not getting his monies worth. I would like to attach one of my reports, but do not know how to do it. (sorry) still computer illiterate.

It appears to me that in the real estate peoples' eyes, if you do to much of a good job, they lose money, therefore, they will not recommend you to other buyers. If this philosophy is wrong, please advise.

I would appreciate you peoples help on this topic.

Thank you,

From Cyr Home Inspections
Winslow, Maine

Originally Posted By: dedwards

Marcel,

Do you do a report “summary” page(s)? The problem most people, not just realtors have with a long narrative report is that after about page 2 their eyes glaze over and they can’t remember what they read two paragraphs before. There are times when a narrative report is perfect but there are other occasions where a different style of report will cover everything the narrative covers but without all the lexicon of the construction world. I and others I am friends with use a combination of reports that allows us to be flexible enough to kind of match the report with the wishes of the client. I use a checklist style a lot but it is one I developed over the years and have printed on NCR forms by a local printer. This holds the costs way down and the customers really like it. I have had to massage it several times and am doing another draft now. Others in here will tell you they like computer generated reports, I do too sometimes, I also use a hand held device that allows me to move very quickly during an inspection especially if I am alone. It works extremely well if you are doing multiple units as you were describing. It has a touch screen program and you can develope your own statements for the report. That one you can either print off on site using a mobile printer or take back to the office and print off. I am older than you are so getting up to speed on computers is a must in today’s HI market. It takes some time and just trying to keep up can become a chanllenge but well worth it. I would recommend you get some sample checklist reports especially since you are just getting started. Use them and see which one makes your job easier. We all had to go through what you are experiencing so this is well plowed ground. One thing about the board is you will get plenty of good advice / help from the members (and some non-members). Just do not get discouraged. It takes a little time to get your name out there and people will come to appreciate your experience and talent if they get a chance to see it. Wish you great success.

Doug Edwards

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif Thank you Doug Edwards for your input, I took your advice very serious and appreciate the guideline. To answer your question, yes, I do provide a perspective summary at the end of the report.

Your reference to a check box item report had crossed my mind and had even been recommended by my employer to provide a dual priced category inspection tag for the services. He told me that some people might prefer a less expensive version, rather than a technical one that they can not understand.

You have given me some light Doug and thank you again.

Originally Posted By: dedwards

Marcel,

You are very welcome.