Wondering how some of you guys do it ..

Originally Posted By: ahalstead
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have only been a member since january, but starting to become somewhat busy. I have to wonder how some of you guys find the time to write so many posts to this message board. Between my typical 3 - 4 hour inspection, 2-3 hours to write a report, 4-6 inspections a week AND keeping busy with RE work, my son, my girlfriend and marketing my services, I find it difficult just to find time to read the postings on the message boards…let alone reply to any.

My hat is off to you guys who offer good positive postings and remark on the questions posed by others. eusa_clap.gif

Allen J. Halstead

Tri-County Home Inspections
Ghent, NY

"...for your peace of mind..."

Originally Posted By: mboyett

What? What are you saying? That we should get a life? Geez, I’ve never been so insulted! Seriously, I’ve asked myself that same question many times, especially recently. This board is like a wreck or maybe “Desperate Housewives”…I just can’t look away! I’m gonna really try to go away for awhile and concentrate on what’s important like you do.

Mike Boyett

Capital City Inspections

Austin, Tx

www.capcityinspections.com

Originally Posted By: dbowers

Allen -

To start with most of us don't take 3-4 hours to do an inspection and we don't take 2-3 hours to write a report. I might typically take 2.5-3 hours to do the inspection and 90% of the time the report is done when I am.

I'm 58 and I don't move as fast as I did before my heart bypass. Don't worry after 1-2 years of inspecting you should develop the speed to get finished with the inspection and report in a reasonable time.

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

My inspections take between 2.45 hours and 3.45 hours now. My reports take me around 2.5-5 hours to complete depending on the number of pictures I have to take and my drivetime is between 2 and 6 hours.

The other day I did an inspection that lasted 8 hours and took 8 hours to complete the report. Total drivetime for that one was only 1 hour.

I just cannot see doing more than 1 inspection/day.

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I guess our houses are smaller here, not that size matters icon_lol.gif

2 hours for the inspection and 45 minutes to an hour for the report depending on whether the pictures print correctly.

The only 8 hour inspection I've ever done was with two other inspectors on an 18,000 sq. foot house. That report took 3 hours, but it was worth it!

Originally Posted By: cmccann

I’d go crazy if my reports took 3 hours to write. eusa_doh.gif I’m down to 2 hours for the inspection, 1 hour Max on any typical job.

NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: rbrown1

Depending on the size, 2-3 hrs for the inspection and .45-1 hr for the written report. Which includes coffee and conversation.

However our igloos are not that big, but getting the dam dogs to go to the right one is another thing. Now that takes time!

--
Bob Brown
President NACHI Du-Ka Chapter ON. Canada
NACHI Cell: 1-484-429-5465

ACISS Home Inspections
bob@aciss.biz

Certified Adult Training Services
www.certifiedadulttrainingservices.com
info@certifiedadulttrainingservices.com

Originally Posted By: pdacey

2 to 2-1/2 hours per inspection. If they purchased a Basic inspection, they receive a hand written report on the spot. If they purchased a Standard inspection it takes 30-60 minutes to put the report together in the evening.

Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

I usually make a few posts to this board in the morning with my coffee while looking up job addresses on Yahoo maps.

Then I'll browse the board in the evening while writing reports.

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: ahalstead

Well, maybe I am being too picky, picky … but my most recent homes have included 3 pre-1900’s and the rest have been pre-1960. After my inspection, I review the results (the most seriosu concerns) with the prospective buyer (30 - 60 minutes typically) I averaged 72 comments (issues) per report (anything from serious in nature to minor maintenance items), 20 - 30photos per report. Each photo receives circles, areas, etc. and editing.

Guess I just want to be customer oriented …

By the way, I have not turned off any agents yet ... still on all their call lists ..

so, something must be right ..

--
Allen J. Halstead

Tri-County Home Inspections
Ghent, NY

"...for your peace of mind..."

jonofrey wrote:
I usually make a few posts to this board in the morning with my coffee while looking up job addresses on Yahoo maps.

Then I'll browse the board in the evening while writing reports.

C'mon, we know you squeeze in a few "adult" sites as well. ![nachi_sarcasm.gif](upload://6HQh6KbNiD73gqTNQInjrR2zeJw.gif)

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636

Originally Posted By: gbell

Boy Patrick what a terrible thought you just put through my head. I didn’t know there was a site just for he/shes. icon_lol.gif

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

I average about 50-60 pictures/inspection with arrows/circles and about 70 comments not inluding the checklist type items, which there are about 70 lines for those also.

The 8 hour inspection was a commercial inspection on a 5000sft building with 5 additions. I took 128 photo's on that.

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

gbell wrote:
Boy Patrick what a terrible thought you just put through my head. I didn't know there was a site just for he/shes. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Now that's funny right there. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

At least I didn’t answer the question “Wondering how some of you guys do it …” like you two jokers would have:

with my sister. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Why, yes , I would do it with your sister. icon_lol.gif Unless you two are twins.

Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636

Originally Posted By: loconnor

Allen

You just started in January and you're already getting about 4 inspections a week. Please share what you've been doing to get the business!!

Or do you have friends & relatives who are Realtors ?

--
Larry
Western Michigan NACHI Chapter
http://www.w-michigan-nachi.org

"We confide in our strength
without boasting of it.
We respect that of others
without fearing it"
Thomas Jefferson

Originally Posted By: dbowers

This week we did a 2-story house built in 1837. Had a few additions. The original house had tree trunks for floor joists. It was about 2,500 sf. It had 2 crawlspaces, 1 cellar, 1 slab and 1 basement And a detached workshop garage.

We spent about 3 hours on the inspection and 1 hour on the report. More than that would have been overkill. We try to average $125 p/hour total.

Originally Posted By: vsantos

Am I missing something here?

2 to 2 1/2 hours for an inspection, is that like a 600 sq. foot house?

I just can't imagine being able to do a good inspection in that amount of time. I guess it keeps the realtors happy though. My inspection today was a 2800 sq. foot house and it took me a little over 4 hours. The realtor looked at me like I was crazy when I said 4 hours. Thank God I don't represent realtors.

Originally Posted By: tallen

2_ 3.5 hrs inspection… I have it down to >1 hour for the report.

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005