WWWTP (What's Wrong With This Picture) of the Day

The furnace short cycled.

What’s wrong in this picture?

2 Likes

If you are at the exterior, the deadbolt is installed wrong. If you are at the interior, the door knob is installed wrong.

5 Likes

Correct. Exterior picture. Requires a key to exit, no key to enter :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, my shiny object syndrome was on the backset for the handle. I install a lot of door knobs in my handyman biz and the normal offsets are 2 3/8" or 2 3/4". Is there an illusion I’m not catching or is that around 4"-5" backset? Did that handle actually operate the latch/tongue?

3 Likes

Yes. And I have NO idea where they found the latch that was that long, as it does not look nearly the age of the building so must have been replaced.

1 Like

8 Likes

Picture quiz: what’s not quite right in this picture?

1 Like

Banana peel hazard?

5 Likes

Banana peel, vent stack pipe close to the hip, plywood axis,
301cbdbdc4766a4a007a6660f7c490d7

2 Likes

It was the peel that made me take the photo. Just the thing for a roof edge 35 feet from the sidewalk.

The vent stack’s been in that location since the building was built 114 years ago, the roof crew knows: just going to work around it apparently.

What are you seeing with the plywood axis?

Those handrails don’t look graspable.

1 Like

Picture Quiz Time: What’s wrong in this picture?
Find the defect.
I’ll return to this topic later to say what I reported.

Looks like it’s ducted but the damper didn’t get installed.

Bingo. The damper is in the shipping storage position. The hood came factory set up for re-circulation, but switchable to venting.

But hey, tape solves the problem, right?
Maybe the instructions needed to come in English, Spanish, and Braille. Or maybe a picture guide, for those who don’t read at all.

1 Like

Picture quiz: narrate why this pipe found in an apartment complex is not right:

Use of combustible foam as the only separation between units. This was a building I am on contract to inspect annually. Last year I called out an open annual space between units, and called out the lack of a 1 hour fire rating. The contractor just grabbed a great can of stuff and called it good. Now they get to dig it back out.

1 Like

IMG_0148
Ok Guys I could use a little clarification I got a missing cable restraint and a double tap… Did I miss anything ?..and yes this is a real inspection photo from this week.

4 Likes

Be sure you checked the grouting of the rock wall foundation :slight_smile:

What’s that thing hanging down, with all the red pigtails connecting to it?
Got a higher resolution photo?

Did you check to see if that valve was functional? :grinning:

2 Likes