WWWTP (What's Wrong With This Picture) of the Day

That’s a pre- interlock device for introducing energy from a generator into the panel, I’ve only ever seen them on old army surplus gas generators

1 Like

Another like that:

1 Like

Picture quiz on a new home,

2 Likes

Got a kick out of this ad at home depot. After installing tile for 20 years, I see several things wrong with the floor tile installation… and theyAre supposed to be professionals?

Any takers?

2 Likes

Can you elaborate on what you are seeing wrong?
Just curious.

1 Like

Sure. Was hoping someone would take a crack at it, but it is kind of hard to see the details.

First of all, he is using mastic, which is made for wall tile. It never lasts on floor tile, especially larger ones.

Second, it looks like tar paper rolled out under the tile. This is not an acceptable tile underlayment, or a crack/isolation mat. And even if it was, its not even glued down to the concrete, it’s just laying over the concrete. So its basically a floating tile floor that is only glued to tar paper. :laughing:

If you click on the photo to enlarge it, you can see the wrinkles in the tar paper

5 Likes

Thanks, I saw the paper, but miss the adhesive, but according to this;
. Ideal for small format
ceramic, mosaic, porcelain and most gauged stone tile on walls or
floors,

The marketing department does not know how to set a proper (detailed) shoot.

Yeah, it says up to 8x8 on floors, those appear to be 12x24.
Professionals never used it on floors, only diy’ers, and it never lasts.

Also, this stuff dries by evaporation, not a chemical reaction like thin set. On top of tar paper it would never cure. It shouldn’t be used on any waterproof walls either such as ditra.

1 Like

I know, all the professional installers I had on my schools, hospitals, and housing projects never used that on floors either. It was always thin set.

1 Like

What’s wrong here and why?

[Monterey Top Vent Detail Page - Williams Comfort Product]

(https://www.williamscomfortprod.com/products/furnaces/monterey-top-vent-detail-page/)

The wall is open behind the furnace for intake air, but any fire will spread to the framing immediately.

Do you see the defect? Old timers: let newer inspectors try this one first :slight_smile:

I see a couple things.

It appears there is a 240v circuit on the lower right on two breakers.(probably isn’t based on the label, but more on that in a second)

This can be ok if both breakers have the same amperage rating and there is a handle tie. Both are not.
They are at least on different legs so whatever they are feeding should work.

That said, one is labeled Heatter, one is labeled lights. Looking at the feed, that is an old school tar impregnated cloth wiring, so apparently they’ve split this feed for two circuits and are pulling a common neutral from some where else.

The white wire should also be relabeled on some of 240v circuits here.

The labeling in the panel stinks. What is a heatter? Is that illiterate for Heater?

Lower left, what is a Disbozel? Again, illiterate for Disposal? Do we have a handle tie(single breaker) for two different circuits here, one being the dishwasher and one for a garbage disposal?

The isolated grounds are a nice touch. No path to earth that I can see and the panel isn’t bonded, but hard to say for sure if it should be since there is no disconnect here.

There’s probably more.

That’s the main thing I saw. There are three old tar cloth cables for 240V heater circuits, but they apparently had only two of the correct breakers. The “electrician” apparently tried to cobble together a handle tie, as I found this nearby:

The dishwasher/disposal are OK: that’s just a Multiwire Branch Circuit 20am. Saved them running two cables.

And it’s a Disbozal, not a Disposal, can’t you read :slight_smile: ?

Was there path to ground somewhere? If not, all those grounds are tied to each other and that’s about it.

Yes, hardly visible:
That black sheathed entry cable has red/white/black and a smaller ground.
It’s unclear where the ground goes next however as it’s an older building.