Zinsco hodge podge

Originally Posted By: jpope
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Came across another Zinsco panel. This one had several different generations and styles of breakers on copper bus bars.

![](upload://yJh5AM6C1SNqvUSVsJ4whbkhumc.jpeg)

Can anyone tell me the possible ramifications of this missing set screw (if any)?

![](upload://d0Pjq5DgEuohbNxY42w0LpaNNNA.jpeg)

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: Charles Palmieri

It appears that the lug does not hold a conductor. This panel could have been originally set as a main lug feed or as it is with a main breaker. I’m not sure how it was listed!! But in any case the missing screw is only a problem if it’s sitting somewhere in the panel waiting to fall across the feeder bus, ouch!

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

Jeff

Joe T. had a thread on this, I mean back fed breakers.

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: jedwards

Somebody musta declared this “Zinsco Appreciation Month” or some such. Got another one today myself. Why do Zinscos always seem to have been rigged by a chimp with a screwdriver and lineman’s pliers? icon_rolleyes.gif

John Edwards

Assurance South, LLC home page

Pre-Paid Legal Services

Originally Posted By: Charles Palmieri

Mike

I’m not sure this panel has the 100 A breaker back fed. Those lugs have been provided in the past for taps or extending to other load centers.

408 16 (F) of the NEC states for Back-Fed Devices. Plug-in-type overcurrent protection devices or plug-in type-main lug assemblies that are backfed and used to terminate field-installed ungrounded supply conductors shall be secured in place by an additional fastener that requires other than a pull to release the device from the mounting means on the panel.

This article allows back fed devices (plug in type breakers for example) but the device must be secured to prevent loosening and popping out. Manufactures will provide a clip and screw in a kit and the load center will have a dedicated space to install these devices where the clip can be secured to hold the breaker in.

Oh! are those cables entering the bottom right, secured with connectors???

Originally Posted By: jpope

a “back-fed” set up. I did not notice any locking device.

![](upload://ygda7KNPbkbz7hUEPEGYUVCpBCi.jpeg)

None of those were at issue really. This panel was deferred to an expert. I was just wondering about that missing set screw.

Does it help to secure the bus bar? Or is it no big deal that it's missing? Is it only used to secure a conductor?

Simply for my information.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738