Zinsco panels--do you remove the covers from exterior panels?

The jobs we do are in itself are a hazard. Every morning I wake up and step out that door into the world of Electricity I know it could be my last. No how much I do in the electrical world, how many people we help we fully understand our mortality. Everytime I get on a plane or dirve a car I know the risks involved.

I realy on good training, a sharp mind and practiced caution in my everyday life and this is what gets you by. I was asked in an interview I gave one time for a magazine this question " Paul, what is the number one killer of electricity" and my answer was simple…Complacency

com·pla·cen·cy 1 : self-satisfaction especially when accompanied by unawareness of actual dangers or deficiencies

So how do you decrease the risk…become more aware of what you are dealing with. Understand the methods to be used to safeguard your actions and know that the job you do is a dangerous task that requires skilled trained people like yourself to do it in order to safeguard the public who are not skilled at what you do.

This is why we bring “CODE” into alot of things even when HI’s scream that they are not code guys…people like me are not trying to make anyone a “CODEIST”. We are trying to help bridge understanding of the intent with the aspects of safety to merge them into what an HI should be, a vast bank of knowledge general to all safety related applications that could effect the homeowner…code establishes the foundation or the basis to build on knowledge.

If electrical issues are a weak point ( and being frightened of electricity is normal and means you wont get complacent) then define the weakness and devote time to understanding the weaknesses more than your strong points and they will in the end fully round the HI into what they should be…VITAL to safeguarding the consumer.

Please include a picture…for Home Inspectors with a limited electrical background

Here you go: http://www.gregoryinspectionsolutions.com/ZinscoPanel.pdf

Paul -
You are so right -
I have worked (as a novice) with electricity all my life - I wired my son’s whole house when we were building it - I know a lot (not all!) - and I am scared every time I open a panel -

This really is a question and not a gotcha. Are home inspectors not covered by the more recent OSHA restrictions on opening up live equipment? As an electrician I’m supposed to be wearing appropriate Arc Flash protective clothing when I’m opening energized panels If I’m working for a firm that is large enough to be covered by the rules.

Tom Horne

Do you also wear a hardhat per
OSHA rules when climbing a ladder?

Most home inspectors are independent and do not work for a company as an employee. Therefore, we are not bound by OSHA regulations.

Yes I do. In fact I wear a hard hat for the entire working day when I’m working with anyone but myself. I were safety glasses as a matter of course :cool: and because they have cheater lenses built into them to assist my forty eight year old eyes. My work shirts and pants are full length ignition resistant even though on hot days that just exchanges steam burns for direct radiant heat burns. What is the point of your question?

That makes perfect sense for the rule angle but wouldn’t it be a good idea to carry a protective coverall of ignition resistant material specifically for that task. There not terribly expensive and you don’t need several sets. Just a thought YMMV.

Tell Joe Hi for me Tom…he misses me…:wink:

No, they are not bound by OSHA. However, It is always stressed to them to be as safe as possible as their life may depend on it.

Having seen a few arcs in my time Tom, additional ideas to share and improve safety are much welcomed.

Tim

Paul, your statement is not entirely correct. Business owners are not bound by OSHA. All employees are, however. So if you have employees in your company, your company is most definitely regulated by OSHA.

Wise advice here and here for those of you with families that depend on you staying alive.

This is getting silly now…look those that feel comfortable can remove the cover, those that do not don’t remove it…enough said.

I hav had one arc on me when replacing the cover. I learned that it is very dangerous when working with them.
After i changed my shorts. I realized that the panel can come in contact with the buss. But I still remove them to see if they conceal further problems. In this area some electricans tell home owners to leave them installed.

Sure if you take it as an all inclusive statement. However, the majority of HI’s are self employed and one man shops…ofcourse when dealing with “companies” with employee’s.

“Although removing the deadfront cover of the panel box for inspection is a service we commonly provide to our clients, it is NOT a part of a home inspection as per our national Standards of Practice (www.nachi.org/sop ). Under certain conditions, we will not remove the panel cover for a courtesy inspection. These conditions include, but are not limited to: rainy, snowy or wet conditions; wet floors or grounds; any blockage within 3 feet of the panel box; distractions within sight or hearing; panel boxes mounted in whole or in part either below the waist or above the shoulder in height; any panel box which may be older than 30 years of age; any situation in which the panel box cover may not be safely and securely re-attached, once removed; and any conditions in which the inspector does not feel safe for him/herself, or anyone else. One or more of these conditions were encountered during this inspection, and there was no visual inspection of the interior of this panel box. If the inspector feels that there is reason for the cover to be removed and the panel inspected, it will be so stated in another line item entry.”

Inspecting any panel is probably the most dangerous part of our job (along with getting on the roof).

After performing thousands of inspections, I came up with a tool to help inspectors with panels. I don’t want to come across like I’m taking advantage of this thread. But I truly feel that this can help inspectors safely inspect electric panels. Of course, nothing beats following best-practices for inspecting panels such as NEVER RESTING THE PANEL COVER ON YOUR HEAD, proper clothing, paying attention, and taking your time.

Check out www.panelpal.com and post your reply.

Be safe out there.

I remove all my covers and 30% of the hi I do up here are Zinscos.

Phil…Pretty Slick…I just bought two of them…will come in handy…good idea…!!