100 Amp Service

Originally Posted By: rpaul
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

This is a 100 amp service with 2 panels off from it. One the original 100 amp service and then in the cellar a 125 amp service. Can anyone tell me how this got passed and then the Electric Company hooking it up? eusa_doh.gif [/code]

If anyone wants to see the piture we are talking about Scroll down to Joe
Tedesco's post witht he picture. I took mine out so the post will be normal.

oops the pictures a liittle big.

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Hi Ricky,

The meter is rated for 200 amp service.

Erol Kartal

Entrance wire is sized for 100 amps. You need to look at the other pic on the link.

Originally Posted By: smyers

Was the service connected prior to the addition?

I am not sure when it was connected and who connected it. I know the entrance wire is a size of 100 amps and feeding off the meter is 200 and possibly 225 amps. It is overloaded.

It will not pass an electrical inspection for a USDA Loan or any other thing where this had to be inspected.

Rick

Unless ----> Your Inpsector is Blind!

www.rephomeinspection.com

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

I’m not sure what the second picture is supposed to show, but I can’t tell from that what size wire is feeding the panels??

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: dbowers

Rickey -

The picture is too big to see whats what. I don't know if this is the case or not - but you are aware that an incoming service wire outside does not have to match the incoming breaker or meter rating.

Because its outside in FREE AIR to dilute the heat, most cities or utilities will frequently leave the old entry wire in place when doing upgrades.

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

Were both panels wired as service equipment or was one a sub?

What size was the disconnect/overcurrent device?

Originally Posted By: tallen

It is all mute.

The lowest comon factor ie: feeder ,panel,meter. etc. Is the rating of this or any service.

Looks to me like the feeder is 100 amp Could be wrong may be 60. Does not matter.

The lowest factor IS the rating of any service!!!!

Originally Posted By: bbadger

I would like to help out but there is not enough info.

I do agree with Todd if these are 100 amp service conductors that would be the service size.

Even if these are copper 2/0 is required for 200 amp and they do not appear to be 2/0s but it is tough to say from the pictures.

--
Bob Badger
Electrical Construction & Maintenance
Moderator at ECN

To everyone,

I understand about the pictures being to big. It is my first pics. I did not realize how big they were. I did take some pictures of the panel boxes for the inspection for the purpose of the job. Just didn't want to plaster them all up.
Basically the entrance wire appears to be sized for 60-100 amp ( I said a 100) because the orignal panel is a 100 amp rating with a 100 amp main disconnect. This panel has a story in itself.
Inside this one is a 50 amp for the Electric Stove, 30 amp for Electric Dryer and a 60 amp for the A/C. So this is a quesstion in itself.
Then the second panel added in the cellar whether it is a sub panel or not comes off the meter. Panel Box is rated for 125 amps with no main disconnect. This feeds the Furnace and the house has been rewired from this. To what I am not totally sure of all what.

For where I was standing, it was a little house with little service feed and a big demand. I made the call on this one and I am 99.6% correct.
.4% is for human error. I call this Home Owner Idis.
The sad part about it was the owners just bought this house 2 years ago and was never told by his inspector about the electric. Stated he never went into the cellar. I can see that because it is a crawl space and it was a stature above crawling in the dirt.

Rick

Originally Posted By: bbadger

Rick from your description

I would say getting an

electrician out to the house

would be the best idea.

A good forum picture size
is no more than about 600
pixels in either direction,
with a resolution of 75 dpi.

A big picture makes all the
posts in the thread very wide
so everyone has to scroll to
read the thread.

Bob

--
Bob Badger
Electrical Construction & Maintenance
Moderator at ECN

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

Rick:

Here's a smaller sized image. Use this
one and delete yours so we can
read the message.

![](upload://wKeaDvDQF1ATJ4hDJcidvGTNYqc.jpeg)

The second line from the meter
is a tell tale sign of an illegal tap,
and probably an illegal apartment.
Recommend an electrician and
contact the supplier of the electricity,
and be done with it.

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Joe,

I looked for a way to delete my pics. but i am not sure how. If anyone can please do. I realized how big it came it after fact. That's where the oooops came it.
Can someone help me ![icon_confused.gif](upload://qv5zppiN69qCk2Y6JzaFYhrff8S.gif) I have to have a sense of humor when I am braindead!

Rick

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

Click this on the top of your message and then you will be able to edit your message.

![](upload://fCELhzNu36A0NrShta81bchH4sA.gif)

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: roconnor

rpaul wrote:
... the orignal panel is a 100 amp rating with a 100 amp main disconnect ... Inside this one is a 50 amp for the Electric Stove, 30 amp for Electric Dryer and a 60 amp for the A/C. So this is a quesstion in itself.

Note that if you add up the breakers/fuses in a panel it will usually come out to be more than the rating of the service. That is pretty typical, and allowed, as the thinking is everything will not be on and drawing the full load at the same time.

As a very rough rule of thumb for HI's, service feeders should be sized for around half the total load. But if you are feeling brave, look at NEC 220.31 and related sections ... but sizing a service is WAY BEYOND a home inspection ... ![icon_exclaim.gif](upload://kW92MliyHA8ygoXI0UsgtBSn4ZO.gif)

I also agree with you and others that there are issues with the service that need further evaluation.

Just my opinion and 2-nickels ...

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Robert,

I understand that sizing is outside the scope. My point of this whole post was showing the double tap in the meter on a 100 amp service and the two separate panels at or over a 100 amps.
I was also lookong out for my client's best interest on this too. I could have not said a word and allowed her to spend another 150.00 for someone to tell her exactly what I did. I just told her, it will not pass an USDA Inspection because of the roof and electrical. I also charged her half of my normal cost for the USDA Inspections, to be fair all the way around.
No alarms or whistles nor emotions, just bottom line facts and explanatins. She was not the happiest but she had made an informed decission. I just told her it will not pass a USDA Loan but will some kind of conventional and this is what has to be done.
I understand the house is under contract and being sold so she may have found another source of a loan. I am not sure if I should dig and find out if she is the one. But I am carious. If I find out I will let you know.

Rick

Originally Posted By: roconnor

rpaul wrote:
I was also lookong out for my client's best interest on this too ... No alarms or whistles nor emotions, just bottom line facts and explanatins.

Gotta like that ... observe and report for your client, thats the job ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong