Amp Question

Originally Posted By: sgilligan
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Sorry for the elementary question, but how do you determine Service Amps?

Originally Posted By: tallen

lets say

meter rating 200 amps

feeders 1/0 150 amps

panel rated for 125 amps

main breaker 100 amps

so in this case it would be rated at 100 amps

the lowest rating of those four factors is the service rating

or I need some coffee

Don't worry if I am wrong due to not checking the books first, you can be sure someone will let you and me know about it.

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Thanks Todd, but where do you find the amp rating on the meter? Do they all list the amp rating? And what exactly do you mean by feeders 1/0 150 amps?? I know these questions are 101, just felt silly for asking. Thanks again.

The meter rating is on the front it will say CL 200 or CL 150 almost every meter I have seen is a 200

A copper wire sized at 1/0 is rated for 125 to 170 amps depending on type. I may be mistaken, again did not look it up .If you have the code check books or an NEC it will be listed in there for the NEC if I remember correctly it is in table 310-15 or 16.

However if it is Aluminum wire and a lot of feeders are 1/0 would be rated at 100 to 135 amps depending on type

hope this helps
The only silly question is the one that was not asked ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

--

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

…sure does, thanks Todd.

Originally Posted By: roconnor

sgilligan wrote:
I know these questions are 101, just felt silly for asking.

It's not silly at all ... it would be very silly not to ask if you are not sure ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Also, here is a link to a basic wire ampacity chart, thanks to the great people over at www.CodeCheck.com (I highly recomment the CodeCheck books for HI's) ... CLICK HERE

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: jbehling

Ok, came across something unusual for me today. 100 amp service to the meter, the main fuse panel was 200 amp main breaker, and there was a 60 amp sub panel. The home had a large addition on it, which was heated via FAG, the older part of the house was heated via hot water boiler, then the basement had electric heat ( two furnaces + baseboards). So I am going around this house wondering whether the service, 100 amp is really under powered, I am pretty sure it is… am I right here? Is there a quick calculation you guys use.

Originally Posted By: rmoore

Jason…

how did you determine "100 amp service to the meter"?. What size were the SEC's entering the service panel? (BTW...I know what you mean, but "main fuse panel with a 200 amp breaker" is a little confusing).

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Meter was rated 100 amp 120/240. “Main Disconnect” icon_smile.gif was rated 200 amp.

Originally Posted By: Vince Santos

sgilligan,

I know how you feel. Being new to this business I have posted things that would no doubt be simple to these guys. But really if you did not post that question and just guessed at how to determine service amps, now that would be silly. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

BTW those books are great.
I have the A field guide to building a safe house one and love it.
My only concern is what if I take this with me on an inspection, and I plan on it, and the client sees me looking at it? The fact that it does say code check on it may cause them to think you are doing a code inspection.

--
Desire is half of life, indifference is half of death.
--Kahlil Gibran

Vince,

I usually just make a note of my concerns on my pda to check it out at home while I am finishing the report.

Another good reason not to do onsite reporting ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

--

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: rmoore

jbehling wrote:
Meter was rated 100 amp 120/240. "Main Disconnect" ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif) was rated 200 amp.

Jason...in that case I wouldn't worry about load calculations. Rather, I'd be recommending the meter panel and, probably, the SEC's from the service point on, be upgraded to match the service panel and 200 amp breaker. Yes, they could do a quicker "fix" it by installing a 100 amp main breaker, but that would seem like a backwards step.

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

Shawn

Call me sometime. I will try to help you. 614-214-1487

PS I thought you where in Powell but the offer is still good.

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

roconnor wrote:
sgilligan wrote:
I know these questions are 101, just felt silly for asking.

It's not silly at all ... it would be very silly not to ask if you are not sure ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Also, here is a link to a basic wire ampacity chart, thanks to the great people over at www.CodeCheck.com (I highly recomment the CodeCheck books for HI's) ... CLICK HERE

Doesn't do you a lick of good unless you know how to size wires by looking at them. Found that out the hard way. Have to figure out a way to judge them without sticking a guage in a panel! ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: Vince Santos

I have heard of the idea of taking different size wires with you so you can compare them to what you see. Your wires would be ladled for easy comparison.

Desire is half of life, indifference is half of death.

–Kahlil Gibran

If you are going to use wire samples as a guide be sure to get the different types of insulation.

If you can't see the actual conductor a 14 awg THW looks like a 10 awg THHN or THWN

--

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Richard, thanks for your help. Always good to be reassured some times icon_biggrin.gif

jbehling wrote:
Ok, came across something unusual for me today. 100 amp service to the meter, the main fuse panel was 200 amp main breaker

Are the feeders from the meter to the panel sized for 200A (e.g. #2/0 Cu) or for 100A (e.g. #4 Cu)? If wires are rated for 200A are ya sure the meter is ony 100A? If it's 200A feeders, but really only a 100A meter/drop then it might be an indication of an upgrade by an non-professional without a permit. Still a flag, but IMHO not as serious a safety hazard as having a 100A feeder with a 200A main breaker ... ouch. Note that the utility drop/lateral wires will be sized smaller than other wires since they follow different rules (i.e. NESC).

kmcmahon wrote:
Doesn't do you a lick of good unless you know how to size wires by looking at them.

Very true, and good point. For the less experienced guys here are a few links to check out on determining the wire sizes and service capacity (also do a search for "service capacity") ... ![icon_idea.gif](upload://6VKizmOm2U7YYmfXNtFW4XTwFVy.gif)

CLICK HERE

AND CLICK HERE

ALSO CLICK HERE - SAFETY

Hope that helps ...

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Mike Parks wrote:
Call me sometime. I will try to help you.

Very commendable ... ![eusa_clap.gif](upload://vwXJP6EroRUgatgS660IOyuD5XK.gif)

I really respect your offer to help a less experienced inspector, and your dedication to helping others keep thier clients safe.

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?

No kidding, it’s what makes this site the best. But wait until I get it on speed dial! icon_lol.gif