1900's framing/construction

What type of framing/construction is this? I know it’s not a very good picture, but it was mainly beams connected with dowels/pins.

Thanks in advance!

Timber frame.

Similar to this:



Hi Joshua,

it is refered to as “Post and Beam construction” I’d have loved to have inspected that job.



Looks like my house. 9 room colonial, all post and beam construction. Built in 1840. The trees they used for rafters still have the bark on them. Sills, 10X10 hemlock are still original that sit on top of dry laid granite slabs

I got to disagree with you on this one, Gerry. I see wall studs with rafters supported by a purlin system, which looks OK. The walls are lathe and plaster. I’m betting from the apparrent age that the studs extend down through the floor joists and are suported by the shear strength of nails instead of the studs resting on something solid. Not that it matters… minus signs of failure, it’s fine.

It appears that the diagonal purlin braces are connected to the strongback using historic mortise-type connections instead of lap joints.

Would love to reclaim that lumber if that home were to be torn down.

Back a couple of months I had the pleasure of inspecting a farmstead started in 1790. Home, small, possibly original barn and large barn all timber frame. Proper grading maintained for a couple hundred years with high foundation walls of cut granite and common stone resulted in very good survivability. Renovation is underway. Unfortunately we are losing too many timber frames. Most are already gone in my area. These are my favorite structures for both inspections and restorations.

Look at it again, Kenton. That stud wall with the lath is a partition wall up in the attic. This could have been put in long after the original build. We can’t see the house walls, but to support that framing, it is likely post and beam.