2 condensers

Originally Posted By: pdacey
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Inspected a house earlier today that had three condensers outside. No problem, relatively large house. Once going through the inside of the house I found only two air handlers. Turns out that when you turn on the downstairs AC two of the condensers outside kick on. The refrigerant lines are spliced together behind the interior unit. This is the first time I’ve ever seen this. Is this some way of increasing the output of the evaporator that I don’t know about? Or is it just plain wrong?

This house was also out in the county where there are no permits or city inspectors.

Any help is much appreciated. (sorry, no picture)

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Originally Posted By: away

Patrick,

I had a similar situation, except it was 2 condensers one AH. Here are the replies I received.

Hope that helps.

--
Andrew Way
Keystone Residential Inspection Services PLLC
www.keystoneinspections.com

Originally Posted By: dandersen

For anyone that would consider calling in for additional evaluation, if it appears to be working in accordance with the procedure that you normally use, simply record the operational condition of the equipment and indicate that the system is a nonstandard configuration. It may be worthwhile for your client to get the name of the HVAC contractor that normally services this equipment to prevent a company unfamiliar with this type of application from working on the equipment and costing your client unnecessary expenses.

If you are not familiar with the equipment operation it's not your fault. Home inspectors know a lot about a lot of things but we don't know everything about everything. It's OK to write down that you're unfamiliar with this type of configuration. Further evaluation is an engineering procedure that is outside the scope of home inspection anyway.

Two condenser's on one evaporator coil is a common commercial application. In the links provided to the previous conversation on this matter, capacity was referenced with square footage. This evaluation is inadequate under any circumstances however it is more inadequate when you start ganging equipment together. If you note, the Post indicated there was a lot of windows in the house. Windows in excess, cause excessive cooling load on the equipment and was likely the reason for a six ton air conditioning system under certain weather conditions. Two separate condensers are used because under some weather conditions, a 6 ton air conditioner would be excessive and cause all kinds of problems. It is likely that under most weather conditions only 3 tons of air conditioning is required, however on those 95? days, 6 tons is required with all those windows.

Commercial rooftop units have multiple compressors (commonly as many as four).

Originally Posted By: pdacey

dandersen wrote:
if it appears to be working in accordance with the procedure that you normally use, simply record the operational condition of the equipment and indicate that the system is a nonstandard configuration.

Exactly how I referenced it. I did however call for an HVAC Tech. for other problems in the system.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Originally Posted By: dandersen

Good job Patrick!

![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)