2021-2022 Top Inspection Devices

What are you using?
What have you found success with?
What has a really useful feature?
What device accessories do you use with it?

I have $15,000 dollars worth of tools in my truck and some are very specialized, but I use the following almost every day:

• Camera (high zoom)
  • Flashlight
  • GFIC tester
  • Ladders
  • Bump hat, coveralls, knee pads & respirator
  • Tape Measure
  • Infrared thermometer
  • Infrared Camera
  • Screwdriver, 1/4 & 5/16 nut driver
  • Home computer & printer
  • Cell Phone
4 Likes

I bought one of these a few weeks ago and love it. So many configurations and ways to use it. It has really helped in dark basements and attics. Can clamp to a floor joist in the basement and it is like daylight in there!

4 Likes

That’s a cool idea. I have been following my flashlight beam for so many years, I do not even look for a light switch. I will flip a switch just to make sure it works. I end up leaving my clients in the dark without realizing it.

2 Likes

My list is nearly identical. I have a voltage detector and a magnet, the rest is the same as yours.

1 Like

An inspection (kinda) device I am currently in search of is a good mileage tracker app. Would like to hear feedback from those that have found a good, easy to use one.

2 Likes

if you use quick books, Someone told me quickbooks connects to google maps,

I use a standard hand written mileage log book.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum, Mike.
Tools and equipment are subject to experience, expertise.
Don’t spend your money on what you want. Buy what you need to start in the industry. >< $1,500 should do it.

Myself. Now I have over $17,000.00 in test and measure equipment.

• 2 x Camera (high zoom x50 and x60)
  • Flashlight/LED Lantern.
  • 2 x Circuit analyzers GFIC tester.
  • 4 x Ladders.
  • Coveralls, knee pads & full face respirator.
  • Tape Measures
  • Infrared thermometer
  • 2 x Infrared Cameras.
  • Screwdriver sets.

Office:

• 2 high power computers & printer $12,000.00
    Marketing. ><$10,000 annually.

Wow. I spent $400 on a good laser printer, $50 on my scanner, $650 on my laptop, $200 on a monitor. $150 on a used oak desk. But the real investment was my office chair, best $500 I ever spent.

5 Likes

I don’t use Quikbooks but have heard the same. Right now, after an inspection is confirmed, I enter the address into google maps and then enter the mileage into my Excel spreadsheet. Then at the end of the week I go back and make any adjustments needed, such as if I didn’t go to the inspection from home or didn’t return home after the inspection. It is a PITA.

The mileage trackers I have researched so far though also seem like a pain. If you are at a light for a few minutes it considers that a trip because you are no longer moving. Then when you take off it starts a new trip. At the end of your day you have to go back and combine those segments, which is not something I want to do. Not sure why nobody has invented an app that you can just tell it start now, and end now. They all want to make the start and stop automatic.

3 Likes

I just did a quick search. You might be able to import the data from google maps.

A sit/stand desk is worth its weight in gold. After a sometimes long drive home, being able to do your desk work standing up is very nice (I’ve also heard it’s healthy, lol). Here is the one I bought but now wish I would have went bigger.

1 Like

I use Triplog. All I have to do is make sure each trip is designated for inspections, personal, etc. It tells to the minute when I arrived/left. Well worth the $60/year.

3 Likes

Thank you. Will check it out!

1 Like

They have a free trial up to maybe 40 drives per month. Used to be anyways.

1 Like

My mileage log is a print out I keep in my truck. on a clip board. I fill it out before I leave and when I return. Just beginning/ending miles and date.

End of the week, I reconcile the miles, reimburse myself and move on. End of year, I turn in my total miles driven to my accountant.

Annual fee $0

2 Likes

A $60 clipboard and we come out even.:grinning:

3 Likes

Hey @ruecker I use quick books self employed app. I think it’s like $4.99 a month or something like that. The mileage tracking is the main reason I got it. Before I leave my home I turn the tracking on and it tracks from point A to B. At the end of the day I can go through each trip and all I have to do is mark them as Buisness or personal. At the end of the year it tracks all the ones I have marked as Buisness and calculates the total as well as gives me an estimate of what the possible deduction would be.

1 Like

What’s with the three foot cord if it’s rechargeable?

Yeah, it’s called a “dedicated work vehicle”.
Jan 1… Starting mileage.
Dec 31… Ending mileage.

Easy peasy!! :wink:

7 Likes