220 used as a 110

Not trying to start a flame war here, but I have to side with Robert Meier:
NOBODY in electrical industry calls it 110/220 anymore, for two simple reasons: 120/240 is the de-facto industrial standard, and NEC uses that as a nominal voltage.
It does NOT mean that if you stick multimeter probes into an average outlet in the US you will get 120 volts every time; However, when referring to the standard residential service, the proper way to call it is 120/240.

To put it differently: seeing a home inspector call it 110/220 in writing on the report (provided of course that’s what you do, Bob) is just as off-putting and detracting from the impression of the document as glaring typos and grammatical errors.

What I was thinking, too. Thanks, Jeff. :slight_smile:

The nominal phase voltage of a 208Y/120 system is actually 120. I said that I cringe because it’s mathematically impossible to have 110 and 208. :slight_smile:

Oh OH better not tell you about “sub panels”

Hopefully they would know better. There was nothing wrong with it.

Not me…I just say, oh, you have 3 phase, that’s how you’re getting 208. Is it Wye or Delta? :mrgreen:

True…208 ÷1.73 =120

Jeff

The legend on the panel was mislabeled (sort of) and why I posted, but it is no big deal and I appreciate the feedback.

Just make sûre they didn’t cut any stands off off thé black wire to fit it onto thé 15 amp breaker, then make sûre thé breaker lug can support thé wire size,

Not bashing anybody but I agree. Just putting my thoughts in. 120/240 or 120/208 is the standard reference since its the nominal voltage strived for at any device. For example when setting a back up generator the voltage governor in it is programed/designed for a 120 volt constant output under varying load. Voltage will drop by about a few volts at say the light fixture but its closer the average voltage we try to keep at equipment. 110/220 actually comes from the old days of electrification. Power was actually 110 and 220 and 480 was kept at a median average of 460. Over time it went up as well as the rating of equipment, ie older devices may be labelled as 115 then 117 and now 120.

A bit of irony though. Motors to this day are still listed at a lower voltage like 460 volts with the intent to work well with voltage drop on a 480 volt system. But in the end it works out ok regardless.

Mike, where did you get your electrical training?

Mike has some great ideas some times ,but he is convinced he is the best,
He, I think is some sort of an engineer.
They way he some times acts It looks like he is a sanitary engineer
( You Know a garbage collector ) .
It is obvious he is extremely jealous of me and some others .
I expect he will attack me and this post ,
Fortunately for me I can not see his posts .

You might want to check and see how many Friends,
Michael Larson has listed .

Why do you kenton?

Ignore roy. He was some kind of maintenance electrician or janitor. Something like that;-)