2700k vs 4200k

when looking at flourecent lighting, keep in mind that there are temprature raiting on them as well as watts. Kelvin (i beleive it’s pronounced) is the ambient measurment of light. the “cooler” looking bulbs, are blue-ish in hue, and the “warmer” is yellow-ish. cooler tipicly being 2700k and the warmer ususaly around 4200k. both use the same watts, power etc., but the cooler us a much whiter light, more naural like the sun, or a white l.e.d… the warmer is good for dining rooms, and bedrooms where a warmer, more soothing light is prefered…just thought i’d share.

…but i guess you all knew that already huh. oh well now you all know that i know too.

Believe it or not, there is also a special bulb for grocery stores and meat store s to put in their meat cases that bring out the “red” tones in the meat.

Me…I prefer the steaks that are starting to turn that awful green/brown color but haven’t gone bad yet. Better in the smoker.

Color temperature is expressed in Kelvins with 3000K similar to incandescent yellow/orange -warm and with the 6000K range, similar to sunlight. Fluorescencent lights come in these and other color temperatures. The most popular color temperature is 3500K, is often preferred for retail, or office. The cheapest tubes are usually cool white, which may make certain complexions look sickly blue/gray/ green and makeup look blotchy. “Daylight” and "color balanced tubes cost more, usually are brighter and are often found in areas where color matching is important. Paint departments, meat counters, fabric departments etc. Warm tones are prefered for areas where skin tone is important such as make-up and mirrored areas. These give warm healthy looking skin tones. Another factor is the Color Rendering Index of a lamp, usually with a range from 50 - 100 with 100 being the best for matching true colors.
TUngsten lightbulbs are 2750-3400 degress Kelvin
Light from a clear “blue sky” is in the 5700- 6500 degrees Kelvin range.

so my info is back-asswards? where’d you get yours, so i may compair.

Information is available from tube manufacturers and color control labs.
I worked in such a lab for two years specifying lighting for paint, fabric and furniture departments for Sear’s, others and food stores.

I think I will stay into checking out the Attic rafters. ha. ha.

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :wink:

Plant Lights for tomatoes.

I’m gonna go out on a limb here, but Kelvin is a measure of tempurature not light. 100F is 310 Kelvin for example.
http://www.onlineconversion.com/temperature.htm

Luminance is a measure of light output.
http://www.onlineconversion.com/light.htm

Peter; I am at a loss to because K is definetly temperature, and 3000k converts to 4,940.33F
2,726.85C

and 6000K relates to 10,340.32999F
or 5,726.849C

How does this relate to light bulbs?

I think I will stay in the attic and look at rafters. ha. ha.

Marcel

It’s called correlated color temperature…try: http://www.schorsch.com/kbase/glossary/cct.html

Michael; Thanks for the link.

Now I am an expert on light correlation heat transfers that are exponentially expressed in Kelvin temperature scale and has something to do with balanceing the equicense of normal lighting when needed and also required in film execution.

Whatever I said is scary, because I have no clue what I am talking about, but sure the hell sounded good. ha. ha.

Thanks for the education.

Marcel :slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: :slight_smile:

Dang…I’m impressed! Sounded very knowledgeable…:smiley:

Don’t let that fool you. ha. ha.

Marcel:) :slight_smile: :wink: