2x4 joists cross installed?

Here is a new one for me. The crawlspace of this 1980’s home had plywood decking and 2x4’s for joists. not 16" OC or anything normal, they were installed at about a 50` angle cris-crossed. they only had 2 nails toed-in. Google didn’t bring anything up for me. You guys ever seen this?

Thanks as always for the help!!!

First for me. I can conjure all kinds of potential problems. How was it performing?

1 Like

1-1/8" T&G C-D PLY… may not be such a huge concern depending on spacings.
Did you see any actual concerns indicating failure in progress?

2 Likes

That 1 1/8 plywood subfloor can span 48 inches under normal dead weight loading; were the beams spaced at 48 inches or less? If not, the diagonal lumber framing is improper with missing joist hangers. Refer it out to a carpenter or engineer.

Then there is the “jump test” performed on the floor surface. Does it feel bouncy? Is it flat?

The floor showed no signs of issues. Flat, level, no sagging so i wasnt expecting this. It was one of those “this cant be right” moments. So appart from the look of it, it performed fine. :man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

My 2 cents.
Missing vapour barrier.
Columns not secured. Top and Bottom.
Floor joists are generally 6, 8, 10, or 12 inches in width, with 8 or 10 inches as the most common sizes.
Uneven floor joist spacing.
Missing bridging, blocking, strapping to prevent rotation.
Inadequate toe-nailing.
Gaps between joist/beam intersection.
Suspect: Undersized floor joists.
Split joists.
No mechanical floor joist hangers.

FYI … You might want to fix your date stamp. 9/26/2017 was a long time ago

2 Likes

LMAO! It just took me that long to figure out how the computer worked. :crazy_face: :rofl:

1 Like

Jason. Not a very friendly way to act to Neil’s words of wisdom.
Personally, I do not pay much attention to embedded photo times stamps. The OP might have changed them for a reason.
Timestamp verification of a posted image can work for you or against you legally.
I consider this, sending reports with time stamped photo images, which I do, though a mail service provider with timestamp imbedded, could/would/should be good enough as a proof.
Keep well.
Robert

Thanks, Jeff.
From what I understand, been some time, rated sheathing numbers play an important roll in regards to support spacing. The ‘first number’ is the maximum span in inches for roof sheathing. The second rated sheathing number gives the maximum span o.c., on center, for subflooring sheathing. Can you make out the numbers?