Opinions Wanted-Pier and Beam

Originally Posted By: Timothy Pope
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Crawled under my first pier and beam foundation today and this is what the center supports looked like. Bearing less than a 1/2" on the concrete blocks which rest on a poured pier, the girders main support is this lumber that is wedged under the girder and resting on the pier. Can some of you give an opinion on how you’d write this up? Sorry, these were the only pics taken.

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/000_0329.JPG ]

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/000_0330.JPG ]

Originally Posted By: scieslewicz

Tim,

It's wrong. You're right. The main beam cannot bear like that. Looks as though a piece of wood (4x4?) was put next to the pier to compensate. The problem with doing that is 1.) chances are that's not how the architect designed it, 2.) there's probably nothing underneath the wood column (a footing) to help carry and distribute the weight.

Essentially the block is doing nothing. Personally, if this is new construction, I'd have the builder consult the architect or engineer and get a correction with their signature on it.

Sue

Originally Posted By: jpope

Also, lumber in contact with earth or concrete must be treated.

Jeff Pope

JPI Home Inspection Service

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: chorne

looks like the frame/joists on the left side are new and the

frame that was there has been removed.

you can see the nails where the joists were cut with a sawsall

what is above this floor system? as far as walls, where they
are in relation to the floor frame and support beam.

recommend that the carrier beam be properly supported.

Carla

Originally Posted By: ccoombs

This is a major problem! With the size of the girder, I would guess it is holding up a major part of the house. Only an engineered fix will do, in my opinion. This would qualify as a “life / safety issue” in my book.

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

Timothy Pope wrote:
Can some of you give an opinion on how you'd write this up?

Every defect written up should contain the following elements. The order is not important as long as your narrative has all the elements.

1) Identify the Component
2) Describe the function of the component
3) Describe the defect
4) How the defect will impact the client
5) How the defect should be corrected (note: this is different from speculating on solutions)
6) Who should correct the defect
7) When the defect should be corrected (amount of urgency)

Quote:
A supporting wood beam is not sufficiently supported. This will reduce the load bearing capacity of the beam. Have the bearing for beam evaluated by a structural engineer before putting any weight on the floor.

Also, in the pics it looks like the beam is made up to 2x4's laminated together horizontally rather than 2x? laminated vertically. Never seen that before. Unless its engineered I would also have an issue with that.

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: rcooke

Timothy states

Crawled under my first pier and beam foundation today and this is what the center supports looked like. Bearing less than a 1/2" on the concrete blocks which rest on a poured pier, the

I would write it up as Immediate, Repair or replace ,Support post in crawl space,, incorrect insulation further evaluation by qualified person .
Roy Cooke sr .

Originally Posted By: ccoombs

Paul

The beam is a Glu-Lam. They are very common (in my area) and very strong.

Curtis

Originally Posted By: tallen

Paul, here is a good link for Glulam.

I see them quite a bit here as well.

http://www.cwc.ca/products/glulam/

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: rwashington

I am confused. Some of you are saying it is a defect and now a couple of you are calling it a Glu Lam and correct. Am I missing something? Respectfully, it does not appear to be a Glu Lam.

Richard W Washington

www.rwhomeinspections.com

I did not mean to imply that the installation of the post was correct.

I just think the beam is a Glulam ,but I could be wrong icon_biggrin.gif

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

It appears to be an industrial grade glulam beam. I don’t see any problem with the beam itself, only in the method of support.

The beam is not bearing properly on its support and contact between concrete and untreated lumber is not allowed.

It looks like an after-thought. Possibly to eliminate some deflection that developed over a period of time.

Tim - were the majority of the supports in the foundation constructed of concrete or wooden posts?

--
Jeff Pope
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: Timothy Pope

All of the supports were of concrete block, just the first one pictured had the board wedged between the poured footing (not visible in pic) and the beam for additional support. All of the others only supported less than 25% of the beam width as well.

By the way, this is new construction, completed <2 months ago.

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Maybe I’m not understanding the 1st photo…looks like a wooden support column directly behind the masonry one. Why 2? is the masonry pier even needed? If not, there’s nothing wrong.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Jeff, that looks to be an epoxy topping on those blocks, so treated may not be needed IMO.

I don't think I've ever seen a treated beam on an interior masonry pier before. Usually exterior walls and piers are the only places

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

kmcmahon wrote:
Jeff, that looks to be an epoxy topping on those blocks, so treated may not be needed IMO.

I thought that mesh looked familiar.

In any case, the bearing is a problem that should be addressed by the builder. I would also recommend that pictures of the condition be sent to the local AHJ (just for good measure).

--
Jeff Pope
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

kmcmahon wrote:

I don't think I've ever seen a treated beam on an interior masonry pier before. Usually exterior walls and piers are the only places

Thanks Kevin. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Learn something new every day!

--

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Timothy,

Jeff's recommendation to show the pictures to the AHJ is a good one. You'll probably be hated or loved for it though (or perhaps you've done this before?). Since you stated the house is 2 months old, someone signed off the C of O. There is a structural problem there and it needs to be addressed. They need to know and the builder needs to know that it can't happen either!!

Please keep us posted!!

Sue

Hi All,

It does not matter if is a glulam, LVL or a 2x4. What you need to understand is that the block pier is there with a footing under it. The beam is supposed to be on that!! And having a small edge on the pier doesn't do anything. That beam carries weight and the weight is transferred to the pier, down to the footing and subsequently to the ground. It is not installed properly!!!

This is a wonderful example of... if it doesn't look right it probably isn't!!

Originally Posted By: lfranklin

It’s hard to tell from the picture but it look to me it was wrong before they put the joist and beam or what ever it is.

It looks as if the block piers were put in the wrong place to begin with. Start of problem was peir placement.

Now their not high enough so they added two 2x4 to get the height and still not got it bearing on the pier.

This just looks like this house will have problems in the near future as there are probably other cover ups throughout the house.