3 way switch in hallway

What is the requirement for a hallway needing a3 way switch?
This was a pre drywall inspection, and this hallway only has one switch for the light, which is at the laundry entrance, which connects to the garage. Thx

Also, I thought in Colorado kitchen receptacles were required to be within 2’ of each corner, but now I’m in Florida. Is that true, or does it just have to follow the 4’ rule around a corner? Thx!
Thx

A 3-way switch is not required anywhere in a dwelling by NEC. A hallway requires a single wall-switched lighting outlet.

There appears to be an outlet right above and few inches off where your measurement tape begins. The 4ft is max between 2 outlets for countertops. It’s not 2ft from the corner, it’s 2 feet max to the first outlet from things like a sink or a fridge and then 4ft max to the next outlet. The idea is no matter where you place a small appliance a 3-4 ft cord reaches and extensions won’t be used.

What code does your locale enforce?

1 Like

Thanks! But Except for a stairway, correct? It needs to have lighting controlled from each end?

Yes it does…

Extra lighting outlets maybe added per length of hallway etc…
But nothing on switches at ether end.

Common sense says you would have one on each end, It is that way in my house,

No, as Simon correctly stated the NEC does not require 3-way switching at all even for stairways. You are required to have a switch at each level but that does not mean that you need 3-way switches. You can have a single pole switch at the bottom of the stairs controlling lights on the bottom level and another one at the top controlling lights on the top level. They are not required to be interconnected.

3 Likes

Interesting… I’ve always assumed so, (because I’ve never seen otherwise), because you wouldn’t be able to turn off the light when you get to the top, but it’s required to have lighting over the stairs…
But that’s good to know!

That’s correct, it’s almost always done that way but it’s a design decision not a code requirement.

It should be, a code requirement. Having a switch/light at bottom and a switch/light at top of stairway is a safety issue and way behind the times.

I agree, even though its not a requirement, its something that i would definitely still call out!

How draconian!.. but, learned something more today. :thinking:

haha! Glad I could help add a wrinkle to that brain! :wink: I gained a couple today too!

1 Like

Thats what I thought, just wanted to make sure.
And thats correct, it was within 4’ of the other one, and there are also ones within 2’ on either side of the sink and the stove.
thx again!

Here’s the relevant NEC section:

210.70(A)(2) Additional Locations. Additional lighting outlets shall be installed in accordance with the following:
(1) At least one wall switch–controlled lighting outlet shall be installed in hallways, stairways, attached garages, and detached garages with electric power.
(2) For dwelling units, attached garages, and detached garages with electric power, at least one wall switch–controlled lighting outlet shall be installed to provide illumination on the exterior side of outdoor entrances or exits with grade-level access. A vehicle door in a garage shall not be considered as an outdoor entrance or exit.
(3) Where one or more lighting outlet(s) are installed for interior stairways, there shall be a wall switch at each floor level, and landing level that includes an entryway, to control the lighting outlet(s) where the stairway between floor levels has six risers or more.

Rob, you are the last person that I would not believe. However, thank you for the section…I have doubts that I will remember the number though…210.70(A)(2)(3). :thinking:

I took a screenshot for you Larry so when you need it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::wink::wink:

I’ll message you when I need it…if I remember. :rofl:

You would think so but if you like climbing stairs you can turn the one on climb turn the other light on come down and turn the other off. Light switches to me have become a pain due to the neutral in the switch box requirements in my area.

Why would the presence of a neutral at the switch be an issue?