3 way switch in hallway

Most people would run 2 wires to light switches power source to the light. Now you have to run power source to switch box or run a neutral from light to the switch.
The presence of a neutral in case you want to run a dimmer or what not is not the issue its just having to run it there even if not needed.
Just have to use more wires or use 3 wire.

You’re correct you would need to run a 3-wire to the switch if the power is at the light fixture. Not much of a difference with the exception of an extra conductor in the cable. I’ve been installing WiFi switches in my house and many switch locations lack a neutral which means that the switch has to be re-wired which often isn’t very easy.

1 Like

Yep. I have a 4 way switch dilemma at a stairway and am deciding whether to do the 4 way or just 1 at top 1 at bottom of stairs. I was planning a 4 way at a separate light switch on wall with the room lights.
I may refer to keep it simple stupid. I don’t like the idea of a motion detector for the stairs.
Don’t mind running 3 wire or even 4 wires just always try to be as efficient as possible.

If it’s a government job they would put two light fixtures over the stairs and 2 switches at the top and 2 switches at the bottom of the stairs. Problem solved.

“Exercise” problem solved. LOL!

Just need a hook on the wall at each level to hang a head lamp on. Problem solved.

NEC 210.70(A)(2)(3) Where one or more lighting outlet(s) are installed for interior stairways, there shall be a wall switch at each floor level, and landing level that includes an entryway, to control the lighting outlet(s) where the stairway between floor levels has six risers or more.