35 yr shingle - granule loss

Seller had paperwork: roof installed 2006 with 35 yr shingles. This granule loss was on the southern side. Northern side looked fine and ventilated properly with ridge and contiuous soffit. What would you say in report or what would you suggest your client do? TIA.

Nevermind. Overthinking it - it is what it is :wink:

EOL due to excessive mineral loss.

1 Like

What is the meaning of this…EOL?

1 Like

End Of Life

Thanks, Chuck.

I would advise the owner, so they could get there warranty.

Had a similar finding on a home recently. Crazy that only one part of the the three section roof was affected like this. What I found was severe buckling in the middle of the roof (not nail pop-ups), upwards of 2-3 inches vertically from the surface. The guy had just had one section replaced and the roofer said nothing about this section. I can’t seem to find a way to post pics on a reply, but would love for you guys to have seen it.

BTW - architectural shingles 35 years? or 30?

In Florida we’re happy to see 20 to 25 years on architectural shingles. That looks like a manufactures defect with excessive granular loss. It has gotten to the point that the asphalt is being exposed to the sun and the UV will break this shingle down quickly. A qualified licensed contractor should evaluate and repair or replace, as necessary.

The year number attached to asphalt composition shingles is a warranty to be free of manufacturer defects, not a promise that the shingles will last that long. Though, if these shingles are as new as stated, I suspect that a mfr defect claim would be in order.

Since granular loss is on the south side where it gets the most direct mid day sun, it looks like poor attic ventilation resulting in over heating which will lead to loss of granules. We see that in Colorado, constantly. So, I would advise that improving ventilation is important.

3 Likes

Did you check to see that the soffit vents were not blocked by insulation? Did you check to see if the ridge vents were not obstructed by underlayment or shingles. I see these defects every month. I had a roof much like yours with poor ventillation (blocked vents) that lasted only 7 years until it needed to be replaced.

2 Likes

Exactly…

This is a horrible result of a not-ventilated spot of 11 years old roof of a 1-1/2 story house. The ventilated section above the garage was as new. The last 3 feet on the top also had some partial ventilation and were in decent condition, but above the master bedroom was impressive damage.

Very good example why the shingled roofs need proper ventilation.

2 Likes

Uniform granule loss is not usually considered functional damage by roofing manufacturers or insurance companies, but that’s pretty extreme. Might be better if the seller filed the claim, depending on how the warranty is written.

1 Like