4pt Question (electrical)

1979 Cutler Hammer CH type breaker…Is this reportable as a double tapped breaker?


Thanx John, I know the form asks for double taps but here’s my dilemma, Searches on this message board differentiate between the 2 types of breakers. CH type (approved for 2 wires under certain circumstances) as in the previous photo (Notice how the conductors are separated) and all others. See how the 2 conductors are actually mashed under the lug in this pic. If I wouldn’t call this out on a home Inspection report (my opinion) why should I call this out on a 4 pt ?

Those don’t look like the approved type,


I always call it out on a HI unless it has “the plate”](“https://www.google.com/search?q=two+wires+to+one+breaker+square+d&biw=1745&bih=812&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiX5vG-n9zJAhVCQyYKHeyoBZ0Q_AUIBygC#imgrc=VJvpGvf6dv89hM%3A”)

Both of those breaker examples are not approved for two conductors. One of them is a Siemens and the CH breaker is not the right type. Why do you not call these out on a HI, or a 4-point for that matter. Are you a softy?:stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you Brad and John, some things need to be beaten in to understand. My rational is they are separated.

I did some research the other day on the CH breaker and found that it is not the same as the SqD breaker for two conductors. It seems that it does not have a pressure plate, but instead compresses the conductors into a “v” at the bottom of the termination cavity. One tell tale sign from the older CH breakers is the metal foot vs a plastic foot for panelboard connection. The metal foot type is NOT approved for two conductors, but the plastic foot with the lower termination throat is. See photos

Tom, your CH breaker is not approved for two conductors.

CH120 plastic foot graphic.jpg

CH120 plastic foot graphic.jpg

CH120 plastic foot graphic.jpg

Ch120 plastic foot.jpg