4x4 beam support posts

Gentlemen, I encountered a house that used 4x4 posts to support the main beam. It’s a one -level, 1,400 sq ft, 45 years old (1977). In the basement I found two 4x4 posts supporting the main beam on the left side of the house. I can’t recall in any of my inspections seeing this before. I would expect metal supports. Is this right? My thinking is that the support should be more rigid. I know 6x6 posts are required on decks greater than 6ft in height, so I would think something a bit stronger would be required for a main beam. Thanks in advance for any info.

Just curious, is that a 3 ply beam? If so, all 3 are not bearing upon the top of the posts.

5 Likes

Looks to me like this was added after construction for some reason (repair). I say this because the “brackets” used to locate the posts are pipe-strap and a shelf bracket (L bracket). I would note that and suggest it be evaluated by an engineer.

IV. The inspector is not required to:
E. provide any engineering or architectural service.
F. report on the adequacy of any structural system or component.

7 Likes

Support columns should be full width of beam and properly fastened to floor and beam to prevent mouvement.

2 Likes

Wood posts on a house beam is no different than wood posts on a deck. IMO there should be a 1/4" x 4 1/2" steel plate between the post and beam. The posts needs properly secured at the top and bottom, especially with the possibility of vehicle impact damage. If it were my house I would replace the wood post with a proper steel posts with welded steel plates top and bottom so you could use anchor bolts on the floor and lag bolts at the beam.

9 Likes

There are enough suspect conditions there to make a call.
Observation: Structure: Location: Garage:
Wood floor joists.
Build-up beam.
Wood columns.
Prior repairs. Concrete dust from prior drilling to secure bottom columns to poured concrete slab…
No visible independent frost footings.
Columns not secured at the top to build-up beam.
No sway bracing.
Suspect: Garage Floor sealed with color-less epoxy coating.
Exposed forced air HVAC sheet metal supply and return ductwork.
Ceiling not fire/fume rated.

Recommend a licensed general contractor:
1: further evaluate columns and beams.
2: Locate suitable footings.
3: make any required modifications to insure stability.
4: Fume/fire rate garage ceiling.
5: install bollards or column guards.
6: Ensure all forced air ductwork is sealed airtight from fumes and fire.

Thanks everyone for your insight. I appreciate all the direction and information. You guys rock!

2 Likes

“Performing but not best practice and may have not been compliant at time of construction”

5 Likes

Back in the 70s, it was common to use either a 4x4 or a 6x6 wood post supporting the main carrying beam in a garage.

2 Likes

What Randy said, and I’ll add, wrap the posts in some foam to prevent door dings.