A/C Compressor/Disconnect Question

Why would you rewire? Just replace the circuit breaker. A 30 amp HACR breaker is less than $15 ? Something you could do yourself safely in 15 minutes. Heck, while you have the breaker out, replace the exterior box yourself. Those are another whopping $20. Total time shouldn’t be more than 1/2 hour.

Minimum breaker size listed on the A/C condensor label is 40A. Now if he changes the condenser to one that takes a 30A minimum breaker and then changes the breaker to 30A and then changes the disconnect…

All of this to fix a report item that is NOT a defect.

All inspectors should take note of this example of how improper reporting of non-defects harms the public.

He said in the OP that the minimum amp on the label was 25 amp, thus my comment.

25A was minimum ampacity. The photo of the label shows min and max breaker both at 40A.

But, yes that would have been the ticket if a smaller breaker were acceptable.

The United States Consumer Protection agency updated the FPE subject in 2011. They state (and the red color is theirs). The underline is mine only because it surprised me.

***Note: CPSC staff advises electricians, homeowners, home inspectors and real estate agents to read and interpret the following press release carefully. The press release announces that the Commission closed the matter without making a determination as to the safety of FPE circuit breakers or the accuracy of the manufacturer’s position on the matter. The Commission advises consumers to take the safety precautions noted in this notice with all circuit breakers and fuses.

• The Consumer Product Safety Commission announced today that it is closing its two year investigation into Federal Pacific Electric Stab-lok type residential circuit breakers. This action was taken because the data currently available to the Commission does not establish that the circuit breakers pose a serious risk of injury to consumers. *

It’s at this site. Commission Closes Investigation Of FPE Circuit Breakers And Provides Safety Information For Consumers | CPSC.gov

I tell my clients “You have an FPE panel. Read this CPSC article. Google the topic. I can tell you that the panel is old technology and subject to improvement but I cannot tell you it is unsafe if the Feds and Texas won’t back me up.” I have seen thousands of FPE and only one failure that could have happened in any brand.

I know a seller who made the inspector pay for the new panel because he could only back up his opinion with hearsay and buyer would not buy the home unless the panel was replaced. The inspectors lawyer told him “you cannot back it up with fact and the seller has the CPSC publication; pay for the panel”. I was not that inspector. It taught me a lesson.

Read Mike Holt. http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=61998

Ricky It is fwaynerogers @juno.com Need to proof read everything

Doug Hansen has a 2012 article on FPE. Seems it would be defensible to condemn a panel.

http://www.codecheck.com/cc/ccimages/PDFs/FPE_2012.pdf

BTW last time I checked I was a member of Internachi. Hmm.

As a past HVAC tech; degree in HVAC I would stand by what Russel and Chuck have told you. I’d also politely inform the buyers and their agent that THE SEASONED inspector might need a little more CE.

Around me, Some of the most SEASONED inspectors had no formal training when they got into HI and continue to pass TRASH to buyers.

NOW having said all that as pitiful as it sounds … Is it better to bite the bullet and get the sale done … Then write complaint letters to all including TREC if you like.