A Hot Wall

Voltage indicator went off light a Christmas tree.
1870’s home suspect knob and tube (none visible) with remodeled bathroom that has wire lath and plaster wall. OUCH:roll:

114_9004 (Small) voltage.JPG

good catch

Peter, 2 questions…

How did you detect the voltage in the wall?

What made you check?

And did the GFCI test normal?

This is interesting, but I think there’s at least a 50% chance that no problem exists.

Our voltage detectors will go off when you get close to energized NM - that doesn’t mean that a defect exists, it just means there are energized components in the area.

If you could get indications from a voltage meter, then I would be concerned.

Hit a wire with a fastener!?

The GFCI protected outlet polarity was acceptable, and tripped off with the internal tester, and my device so it tested normal.
When the device was in the off-open circuit position, I put my voltage indicator in the two prong wall light fixture over the sink. The outlet was still on. As I moved the voltage indictor from the fixture to the GFCI device, accidentally along the wall, I noticed the wall issue.
I then checked other areas ( per the photo )

I did not have anyother equipment with me to check the wall, plus I could not inspect the load center as the screws were rusted. Recommended a licensed electrician evaluate this condition and the entire electrical system and conduct all necessary repairs.

I remember reading a post about a fastener through a wire and how the whole wall was hot, well, I think I finally found one to.

**Never **put your trust into a tick tracer… there are many variables that can cause them to give a false reading. Just by moving it across a surface, the vibration can set the thing off. They get old and ‘oversensitive’.

The voltage detector I have blinks and alarms if AC it detected.
If it is static or DC the sound will not alert.

Paul Abernathy sold them a while back and with NACHI logos on them.

Here it is sans logo.

No switch to leave on or where out. Best of this type I have ever owned.

Yep…The ones I had were the best. I kept a few for myself.

I’m with M. Shunk on this one. There are signs of proper wiring at the GFCI recept…just how far does this extend??

Yes, I know that. I actually place the indictor on the wall, going very slowly.
Thanks,
Peter

Peter try moving it slowly on any wall surface you may be a bit surprised. I’m more at a %5 chance of anything being wrong but keep us posted.

Sadly, I am reminded of this accident where the metal studs were energized. Read the story and see the video below:

http://www.nachi.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1914