A nice chimney,,,

I don’t normally work on Sundays, but this was for a great client… house was built in 1935. Chimney is not used anymore. But this was in the attic! I was interested in hearing comments!

It looks a little weathered and probably not a good idea to use it as-is without a certified chimney inspection. If the chimney is not in use, I usually recommend removing them to below the roof line at the next re-roofing.

1 Like

About what?

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s super minor compared to a lot I’ve seen over the years in the Portland, OR area. Lots of 1900-1920s construction and that is a regular find.

2 Likes

6 Likes

Witches bend

1 Like

fairly common in older homes,

2 Likes

David and Jim have it down, as I would narrate it.

A very slight…

…that is:

And, as Ryan said…

A CSIA Level II chimney inspection:

…a level 2 inspection is required upon the sale or transfer of a property,

https://www.csia.org/homeowner-resources/what-is-a-chimney-inspection-why-do-you-need-one-every-year/

2 Likes

I had heard of a witches bend, but never seen it! I was amazed they’d bend it obviously to fit and miss the rafter. We don’t have a lot of older houses, and not a lot of chimneys in our area… certainly not a lot of older chimneys! Thanks!
BTW - this chimney is not in use, whatever it was used for is no longer there - no fireplace, no furnace.

1 Like

common way to construct a chimney so they didn’t have to cut a roof rafter.

When no longer in use I always recommend removable adove roof when replacing shingles.

1 Like

This always confuses me… So, the house was built and the chimney was put up later? Otherwise, how would the mason know where the rafters were going to be? And, how would the chimney be built up through an already framed house? And, how would the framers know exactly where to leave the openings (maybe this explains the “Witch’s Bends?”)

1 Like

When I was building, we put the fireplace/chimney where we wanted it, or the print said, and headed off the joints and rafters, as needed…we liked plumb. :+1:

What is a Witches Crook? - Albany NY - Northeastern Masonry (northeasternchimney.com)