About the Electrical Inspections category

Contains discussions about electrical systems. This includes receptacles, panels, wiring, etc.

1 Like

I’ve been reading through various sources that state ALL outside outlets should be GFCI. I recently performed some mock inspections (practice) on my home and two neighbors homes. Out of the the three external outlets installed on all homes, only one was GFCI. Please know, these home are less than one year old, so age of homes isn’t an issue.

Thoughts??

2 Likes

Sounds like it was poorly worded. They just need gfi protection. There are also exceptions for snow melt equipment.

They require GFCI protection as Jim stated, that protection might not be at the outlet location it could be upstream at another receptacle or it could be a GFCI circuit breaker. A GFCI tester would confirm whether or not the receptacle were GFCI protected.

3 Likes

All receptacles 6’ and closer to a water source shall be GFCI. Exterior handy handyboxes and all garage shall be GFCI. All other interior plugs sha.l be AFCI.

Not all circuits require afci protection even under the latest code edition. There were also exceptions to gfi protection requirements. These blanket statements are somewhat misleading.

1 Like

Good point especially for installations prior to the 2008 NEC, also close to a water source is not NEC language.

Not just within 6’. Every receptacle in the kitchen serving a countertop needs to be gfci.

2 Likes

I can across this on an inspection. Never seen it done this way before. Is this permitted?

Thank you

“came across”

Typically, the termination is designed for one conductor only.

Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 4.51.36 PM

Thank you for your insight on this. I wasn’t sure, and I didn’t want to give a wrong recommendation. if it was considered acceptable.

1 Like

Agree with Larry, but how are those feeders connected at the other end? Are they also double tapped into the breakers? Or do you have different breakers for each of those feeders?

There are several other issues with that panel as well.

The lugs are for one conductor only. Also those conductors are too small to be paralleled.

2 Likes

this may help inspectors with electrical questions