Access to the roof

Originally Posted By: jremas
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

OK, how many of you use a ladder to get on the roof or to the eaves? How many of you don’t use a ladder?

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk

This membership was a big waste of my time!!!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY

Thanks Igor. I am limited to a 17" ladder right now. I would need to get another vehicle to go any bigger and I am thinking that through right now.

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: rwills

I use a 28’ fiberglass ext. ladder to inspect the roof. Although I can get on most roofs with it I wont walk any over 6/12 pitched roofs unless there is something that makes it easier such as a valley, dormer, etc. Besides, the higher pitched roofs are easy enough to see from the eave anyway. My problem is the 3-story row homes in the city (Phila). They usually have a facade in the front on top of that, and the rear has electric service cables blocking the roof line. I let the client know that I may not be able to access them ahead of time…Bob

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

I strap on a rocket belt, myself. You know, the kind used in the old James Bond movies. The solid fuel is a bit expensive, and I cant transport it through most tunnels, but you should see the look on everyones faces when I crank that sucker up! Neighbors and dogs get pretty pissed, and one seller got annoyed at the burn marks on his sod, but what the hell… I’m not working for him!

I'm sorry.... that was an acid flashback from '75. "Don't take the blue acid... Repeat, dont take the blue acid. Only take the yellow acid..." Where am I?

Originally Posted By: matthew berman

icon_smile.gif i use a fold up ladder also ,view from edge if its to steep,most are walkable in my area.two story and older shingles from ground with binoculars.--------matt.

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

I just don’t think you can top the Little Giant ladders for most usages.

Saved myself over $100.00 by calling Wing Industries (the manufacturer) direct to get mine. The local companies all wanted too much.

Erby

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Joe F.

You are just a funny person, glad to have met you!

Joe Myers

Oh SH** you said take the yellow and not the blue...here I go again!! ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

Igor

Glen Spey, NY

IGOR,

YOU DA MAN! Actually, I'm gonna try the ozone machine described on another thread for my next self-induced thrill ride. Hell, what's a few brain cells between friends anyway?! Hey, anyone looking to purchase a used rocket pack? It comes with helmet and two sets of nomex pants...

Now, where did I put that ozone machine...

Originally Posted By: nlewis

Joe,

Careful with the ozone machine. If it doesn’t kill ya, it might wear out your underwear quickly!

The LG is worth every penny. It's also light enough to pull up onto a roof to access those upper roof sections.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Brain Cells?

Am I supposed to have them? Where do you think mine went?

Joe Myers

Igor

Glen Spey, NY

Igor, couldn’t see the photos. icon_question.gif

I always try and get onto the roof when I can. With snow and ice, no way.

After watching my neighbor fall off his lower roof, bounce on the ground, break his ribs, bruise his lungs, get a concussion, go unconsious, rip his ear, break one of his fingers, and tear the rotator cuff of his right shoulder (he's a camera man for ESPN2 and now cant work), I decided that my life and well-being is worth a bit more than the money I charge for the inspection.

Mind you, he actually fell off the ladder from a height of about 10' as he put a foot onto the roof and the ladder shifted. He was taken to the hospital by ambulance, where he remained for 2 full days. I HATE it when that happens...

When I wont access the roof, I take photos of why. Better a healthy chicken s#$t, than a dead one. Please be careful! Glen Spey would never be the same without you!!

Joe F.

Igor

Glen Spey, NY

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Igor, just a thought. Did you make sure your file name had not spaces or other unusual characters in it.

This one of the reasons I get on roofs when I can and feel confident that I'm not going to bust my a$%.

This house sits on a bluff over the river. The only way to see this portion of the roof from the ground with binoculars was to drive ten miles down the road to the bridge and then back up. Of course there is no road along the river on the other side, so I guess I could've used that as a justification for getting a jeep.

![](upload://inQMWlvCDzftFrsAoNG29UtPqiQ.jpeg)

Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, KY
www.b4uclose.com

Igor

Glen Spey, NY

Originally Posted By: Chris Morrell

Igor,

I see the problem. Your file extention is "JPG," and because I'm in such a habit to use lowercase file extensions, I didn't write the script to be case insensitive. Glad to see that solved.

--
Chris Morrell
Director of Information Technology
http://www.nachi.org/

![](upload://zMeR6UYkKdmFgCrgaVGS4JbBTH1.html)

Wow, an upsidedown roof application. That one is a first for me. I wish I had a picture, but the best one I saw was the cap on an asphalt hip roof started from the bottom and worked up. It made a great catcher for all the rain.

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Igor

Glen Spey, NY