Adequate Support for Overhang?

Hey Guys-

I didn’t see any signs that these “posts” weren’t supporting the overhang, but are these adequate supports for it? Thanks.

Kenny

See this older thread…pay special attention to post #9.

Are we engaging in enginneering services with this? Tread lightly.

***8 Ft. 3 Scroll Flat Column - 2 Columns per Bundle ***

“Flat & corner configurations, can be used with any rail system for porch or patio overhangs. Not designed for structural support.”

***8 Ft. 3S Corner Column - 2 Columns per Bundle ***

“Decorative 3-S Design Corner Column. Add Beautify To Your Home With This Classic Design. Fits With All Village Ironsmith Railing. Touch Up Painting & Annual Painting Is Recommended. 2 Columns per Bundle”
These columns can be found at homedepot.com:slight_smile:

I’m with Mike and Marcel on these.

From Mike’s link:

http://www.nachi.org/forum/attachments/f16/28888d1243257971-decorative-columns-capture.gif

Thanks Guys-

“Not designed for structural support” will be the foundation I use for reporting it. A challenge could be how do I know that the ones used in this installation weren’t from a manufacturer that did design them for support. I didn’t see any labeling on them to know where they came from. At any rate, I’ll identify it and if they want to pursue it further with a structural engineer they can do that.

Kenny

Boy, that makes me want to go out and buy one of their products! :wink: I wonder if that disclaimer holds up in court?

Kenny, Gilpin (like we agree may or may not be the mfg of the columns in your case) also publishes this working load table. They re-affirm their disclaimer at the top of it.

Decorative Columns Working Loads.pdf (4.52 KB)

I think over the years of manufacturing, they found people with no common sense and structural collapses might have occured, so they put this warning to protect themselves from abuse to usage.

Since the Manufacturer of the porch column is unknown, it might be wise to note such, that there is no evidence to dictate that the wrought iron porch columns are adequate without having it engineered by qualified personnel. The working load for the design of these porch railing columns vary from Manufacture to Manufacture and might not be adequate to continue to carry the anticipated loads.
JMO:)

[FONT=Courier][size=4]Gilpin Inc Columns Working Loads[/size][/FONT]

[FONT=Courier][size=2]Revised: November 11, 2008[/size][/FONT]
[size=2][FONT=Courier]Based on laboratory tests and analysis the working loads for Gilpin Inc Columns,
with a safety factor of five (5), are as follows:
NOTES:

1. THESE DATA ARE PROVIDED FOR INFORMATION ONLY. GILPIN INC DOES NOT ASSERT,
    WARRANT OR GUARANTEE THAT ANY COLUMN HAS THE STRENGTH INDICATED IN THE TABLE OR
    THAT ANY COLUMN IS SUITABLE FOR ANY PARTICULAR APPLICATION.
  2. THESE WORKING LOADS ARE BASED ON LABORATORY TESTS OF TYPICAL, FACTORY NEW,
    COLUMNS. ACTUAL LOAD BEARING CAPABILITY OF INSTALLATIONS USING PRODUCTION COLUMNS
    MAY BE SUBSTANTIALLY DIFFERENT, DEPENDING UPON MANY FACTORS SUCH AS: INSTALLATION
    TECHNIQUES, LATERAL LOADS, AND VARIATIONS (FOR EXAMPLE DUE TO AGE, DAMAGE,
    DETERIORATION OR MANUFACTURING VARIATION) IN THE PARTICULAR COLUMNS USED.
  3. ANY DAMAGE TO A COLUMN WILL DRAMATICALLY REDUCE ITS LOAD CARRYING CAPABILITY.
  4. SAFE DESIGN, USE OF CONFORMING MATERIALS AND COMPLIANCE WITH BUILDING CODES ARE
    THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE DESIGNER, BUILDER AND INSTALLER OF ANY STRUCTURE.
  5. GILPIN INC RESERVES THE RIGHT TO CHANGE THE DESIGN AND/OR PERFORMANCE
    CHARACTERISTICS OF THEIR PRODUCTS AT ANY TIME.

[/size][/FONT]Style Height
(Feet)
Working Load
(Lbs.)
Newport Flat 8 566
Newport Corner 8 1396
Newport Flat 10 562
Newport Corner 10 1255
Windsor Flat 8 779
Windsor Corner 8 1549
Windsor Flat 10 548
Windsor Corner 10 1686
Oakwood Flat 8 985
Oakwood Corner 8 2925
Oakwood Flat 10 511
Oakwood Corner 10 3279
Midway Flat 8 1016
Midway Corner 8 857
Midway Flat 10 604
Midway Corner 10 789

Newport, Windsor, Oakwood, Midway and Gilpin Ironworks are Registered
Trademarks or Trademarks of Gilpin Inc.:slight_smile:

Check the bottom of the supports. Hope they didn’t look like this.