AFCI in Bedroom Sitting Area

The master bedroom suite includes a large sitting area not seperated from the sleeping area by a door. Is Arc Fault protection required (house built in 2005) in the sitting area?

That would be part of the bedroom. You would have to check what your
[FONT=Verdana][size=2]jurisdiction [/size][/FONT]follows codewise, and when it was implemented, if that interests you.

If closets are considered part of the bedroom, this room would be also provided there is no other means of egress into the room.

Thanks guys. I thought it was required but couldn’t find specific code language.

**AFCI - **From the 2002 NEC. (ALL outlets - bold is mine)

• 210.12 Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection.
    • (B) Dwelling Unit Bedrooms. All branch circuits that supply 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere outlets installed in dwelling unit bedrooms shall be protected by an arc-fault circuit interrupter listed to provide protection of the entire branch circuit.
      From the 1999 NEC. (ONLY “receptacle” outlets - bold is mine)
  • 210-12. Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection
    • (b) Dwelling Unit Bedrooms. All branch circuits that supply 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere receptacle outlets installed in dwelling unit bedrooms shall be protected by an arc-fault circuit interrupter(s). This requirement shall become effective January 1, 2002. Fittings; and Handhole Enclosures

Yes, it is required to be AFCI protected for the outlets ( 15 & 20A. 125V ) within that bedroom.