Air Admittance Valves?

Originally Posted By: bnelson
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/P1003548.jpg ]

Originally Posted By: jpeck

It looks higher than 4" above the weir of the trap, so it’s okay.

Jerry Peck

South Florida

Originally Posted By: Guest

I like the rat’s tail in the supply line…cleverly engineered in to hold the toilet brush handle for storage. One flaw is that one must grasp the bristle end to remove the brush.

Chad,

You noticed that I only said the AAV was okay?

Nothing else in there looks straight in alignment with each other, not even the slip nuts on their fittings.

And that big snake ... er ... dishwasher drain line???

And that 'I'll kink sooner or later' supply line you pointed out looks like it is kinking (or at least kinky ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif) ).

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

follow manufacturer’s installation specs?

I went to an HVAC seminar recently, and spent 4 hours listening to two human code books / code historians spew tidbits about manufacturer's installation specs and code wording as if the safety of a nuclear reactor depended on it. The general concensus from the attendees I spoke with afterward is that if we as inspectors called a quarter of what we were just told, we'd be out of business in a month.

I would love nothing more than for this line of work to be black and white: What's wrong is wrong and what's right is right. I don't want to end up in court or having to make a big claim against my insurance, but at the same time, I've already had realtor's tell me I'm too damn thorough. Any prophetic words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Thx,
Brandon

Originally Posted By: Guest

I’d mention that there was a “homeowner level of workmanship” and that it was likely to cause problems. I’d note that the drain piping was waiting to leak, the cold water feed to the faucet was stressed, and the flexible supply hoses were too long and the dishwasher discharge was about three feet too long and was coiled like a cobra waiting to strike. If you go through life worrying about kissing Realtor’s butts and your next referral, you’ll end up in court with “patsy” tatooed on your back.

Either verbally, or possibly in my report, I'd tell the client that all of these things could be rectified for a modest sum.

The problem with the installation on a more Gestalt basis is that it's probably indicative of all the work in the home. If handy Andy did that under the kitchen sink, chances are that he's done stuff like that everywhere.

Yeah, I'd call it all ..in a heartbeat. Don't forget who you work for.

Chad said it pretty well, except …

"the cold water feed to the faucet was stressed"

'the cold water supply to the kitchen faucet was partially or mostly kinked, don't be surprised to lose cold water flow, and when you do, you will know what to look at first'

I also understand what you are saying about your future business, we all went through that to survive. My suggestion, and it is what I did (not because I did it intentionally, but because 'back then' I could only do what I knew, and the more I knew, the more I did, and there was nothing like these forums to bring new inspectors up to speed as fast as today): Start out writing up the bigger things, once that becomes 'accepted practice', push the envelope some more and write up other things, always 'pushing the envelope' as you establish that level of acceptance for the other things.

Two things are taking place: 1) you are learning, 2) you are teaching and defining what an acceptable home inspection is. We ALL are constantly doing that, whether we know it or not.

Right now? Make sure to advise your client (the buyer) that there are some screwy things going on down there and 'not to call me when it leaks or the cold supply kinks, because I just told you they would'. It is up to the client to make use of that information.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I don’t think you need to ask what to call out in that picture. If the plumbing is any indication of the workmanship in the home your printer will run out of toner before the last page of the report prints icon_lol.gif