Air-Krete Insulation experiences ?

Hello-

We are thinking of using Air-Krete insulation as a blown in installation in our exterior wall cavities. There is no insulation there now, and no diagonal cross members that woudl block the flow of the material.
The only negative thing I’ve heard is that because it’s water based, it may stain drywall on the interior face or take some time to cure.
Anyone else have any experience with this product ?

Thanks.

Have look at dense pack cellulose fiber, a recycled paper product. It should be cheaper than the foam and blows in dry with an R value of 3.8 /inch, very similar to the foam.

The cellulose from what I’ve gathered will not drain if it becomes wet and is a better home for pests, and will settle over time.

Dustier than a desert wind when you blow it, too. I would spend the extra on foam.

Is this new construction or an existing home?

I think you also have consider future projects to your home. This item has cement in it, although I have not had any personal experience with Air-Krete, I would think it will be pretty solid. What will be required if you want to add a simple electrical fixture? How will the electrician run his conduit or conductors? What about if you need plumbing or electrical repairs? Will the walls need to be opened up and the insulation removed? Will this add to the cost? What will the cost to have a wall reinsulated if it is removed? What about hanging pictures or any fastners?

Just my thoughts.

While airkrete is a cementitious foam insulation. It is not hard. You can push wires, pipes, etc through if you really wanted to. I always recommend anyone looking to insulation with airkrete to have electrical, plumbing, etc done beforehand.

It will not stain walls. it does go in with a moisture content, but it is not “wet” in the way that you can ring water out of it.

It does a much better job of air sealing than cellulose and there is no dust installing airkrete. Cellulose is like being in a dust storm when installing.

It will take a bit to completely dry out, as the airkrete dissipates the moisture through vapour flow ( from warmer to colder) and through airflow in weep holes etc on brick veneer. In wood sided homes, round thimble vents should be installed to allow it to breath and dissipate. Aluminum and vinyl sided homes are no problem.

Airkrete is the only insulation that we have in Canada that can also insulate double brick/brick and block construction due to the small gap (usually 1").

Installation can also be done from outside through mortar lines in some cases, instead of from the inside.

We can also insulate homes that have R7 insulation batts in a 2x4 wall, compressing the old insulation and filling the void with airkrete. It is not a vapour barrier, but is an air barrier.

Yes, I am an installer, but the first installation I ever did was my own home. What a difference.

http://www.envirotechinsulation.ca

Densepack cellulose is R3 per inch. Loose is R3.7-3.8. Air Krete is R6 per inch.

Definitely cheaper. Doesn’t work well in wall cavities that have existing batts or UFFi. I understand that Air Krete works well in those cavities.

As for the moisture concern, it actually will dehydrate the interior walls when curing (such as if the hose experienced a flood etc…).

It is fire proof, non-toxic (you can eat it, but is very salty), does not expand like foam, it’s like shaving cream. It can kill a termite by removing the outer shell of the bug from abrasion. It will not mold. It can be used as a water barrier.

And the R-Vlaue is being improved upon.