AL Wiring in Texas

Originally Posted By: jpope
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Okay yawl icon_biggrin.gif

I was told in a different thread that Texas inspectors are required (by the State) to remove a relative sample of cover plates to confirm proper application of AL/CU receptacles and/or "pigtailed" connections whenever they see AL wire in the branch circuits of a service panel.

So what is required in a case when there is a mix such as the pictures below? How do you limit your liability in a case like this?

Curious in California

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: Joey D’Adamo

Is that a tandem breaker? If that’s a multiwire branch circuit then the wires are on the same phase and the neutral could be overloaded.

Also there doesn't appear to be any penetrox on the wires, but it may not be required; it would depend on the manufacturer's directions for connecting aluminum to those breakers, but it might be worth a look.

The breakers were all Square D and listed for AL/CU. Yes, those are tandems. Some 240’s, some not.

Jeff Pope

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: pdacey

If the panel is labeled to identify each circuit I would pull the covers on those circuits to verify. If there is no identification of each circuit I would note it pretty much as you see it.

"Aluminum wiring used for X number of circuits. Unable to determine if proper devices (switches, outlets, etc...) are used in conjunction with the aluminum wire due to lack of identification of circuits in panel. Recommend evaluation by licensed electrician to ensure wiring material is used within its realm of specifications."

.... or something like that.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Quote:
From our (Texas) SOP:
(c) Branch circuits, connected devices and fixtures. The inspector shall:
(11) inspect (if branch circuit aluminum wiring is discovered in the main or subpanels) a random sampling of accessible receptacles and switches and report as in need of repair the absence of appropriate connections, such as copper/aluminum approved devices, pig-tailed connections or crimp connections.

Patrick,

Do you feel that your recommendation covers you with regards to this section of the Texas SOP? I'm not bustin' any balls here, I'm truly curious about this as it seems a bit over the top to me.

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Jeff,

Yes I do. Even though we have a pretty extensive SOP, we can exclude any item in the SOP as along as we state why we excluded it.

"Unable to determine if proper devices (switches, outlets, etc...) are used in conjunction with the aluminum wire due to lack of identification of circuits in panel."

As long as we state the conditions that prohibited us from inspecting something in our SOP, we are covered.

On one of my inspections yesterday, I could not go into the attic because the scuttle hatch was caulked and painted shut. So I put in the report:

"Unable to enter attic area due to scuttle hatch being caulked and painted shut. Unable to inspect any component, structure or system which may be located in attic or comment on any possible condition which may arise due to failure of a system, component or structure located in attic."

I think I'm covered.

Oh, and I wouldn't think you are busting balls.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636

Thanks Pat. icon_wink.gif

Yawl come back now, ya hear?

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Thank you for the question. We’re all here to learn from each other. icon_biggrin.gif

Being that I've only lived in TX for 3 years, I haven't picked up the Yawl thing yet. My NJ accent just won't die.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636