Albino GE(?) Breakers

Originally Posted By: rmoore
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Anyone seen or know about these. 20 amp tandem (twin?) breaker in a GE panel. Unfortunately I screwed up the focus of the interior photo, but the casing appeared to be an exact copy of the breaker below. No pigtails or anything weird other than the color. An off-brand or just a freak of nature? aiwebs_014.gif

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: dbozek

In all my time as a sparky, the only time I have seen white breakers, has been in equipment, never a residential panel…or even a commercial one. Doesn’t mean there isn’t such a thing though.

You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they should and could do for themselves. Abraham Lincoln

Originally Posted By: Randy Flockton

Richard,

This might be an overseas copy of a GE tandem breaker… It looks too new for the style & I’ve been told by a GE supplier before that GE doesn’t make tandems anymore since they have the THQP line now… (BTW, where’s the current rating on that breaker???)

Here's a chinese company making other GE, FPE & ITE "look alikes" ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)
Whats even worse is look at the voltage ratings their giving for these!
![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif) ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

http://www.yuanky.com/cb-s-ge-p-mcb.htm

Here's a pic with a suspiciously similar color scheme as the breaker you show above from the same website

You might want to check that breaker for a proper UL listing on it, It's not unheard of for the overseas crap to have fake UL markings/stickers...

-Randy

--
"Prices subject to change with customers additude"

Thanks guys…

I wish I hadn't screwed up the interior shot closeup. I would swear that they were marked for amps as I didn't have a "WTF" moment when checking the wire sizes...but I admit I can't see the markings now. I also had three 240 volt circuits (range, dryer, old water heater) all without handle ties in the panel and about 75% of the receptacles tested "no ground". Think I'll have the client get an opinion on the white breaker from the Sparky.

Thanks again...appreciate it!

--
Richard Moore
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

Richard:

For the electric range and electric clothes dryer, individual single-pole circuit breakers, with or without approved handle ties, are permitted as the protection for each ungrounded conductor of a multiwire branch circuits that serve only single-phase line-to-neutral loads.

The electric water heater would be required to be protected by a two-pole device, or two single breakers tied together with approved handle ties.

What is an approved handle tie?

PS: Soon to become a requirement is the replacement of the word "approved" with "listed" -- just a heads up for the future!

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

jtedesco wrote:
For the electric range and electric clothes dryer, individual single-pole circuit breakers, with or without approved handle ties, are permitted as the protection for each ungrounded conductor of a multiwire branch circuits that serve only single-phase line-to-neutral loads.

Joe...

I might be having a senior moment here, but I don't get that. Aren't the range and dryer 240 volt line-to-line aplliances (although there may also be 120 take-offs)? My understanding was that the handle-tie was to ensure that ALL power to the device or receptacles was cut-off in the case of one leg tripping. I thought this was to protect someone working on the circuit, receptacle or appliance. Could you elaborate?

--
Richard Moore
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

My “moment” is as senior as yours. A range or dryer is certainly line to line load and DOES require a 2 pole breaker.

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Then I had a “moment” this morning cause I wrote up a dryer on a 240 circuit without a common trip. icon_eek.gif

Originally Posted By: Bob Badger

Greg Fretwell wrote:
A range or dryer is certainly line to line load and DOES require a 2 pole breaker.

It can be two single pole breakers with approved handle ties.

For ranges, dryers and similar circuits, you must use either approved handle ties or internal common trip breakers.

240.20(B) and 240.20(B)(2)

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

Bob’s references are correct and the diagram here shows where the dryer is not truly a line to neutral load only, but also supplies line to line for the heating element.

![](upload://yh4dHCyOBORIelCqPy00NrNqr0b.jpeg)

Courtesy: www.nfpa.org

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

Bob Badger wrote:
Greg Fretwell wrote:
A range or dryer is certainly line to line load and DOES require a 2 pole breaker.

It can be two single pole breakers with approved handle ties.

For ranges, dryers and similar circuits, you must use either approved handle ties or internal common trip breakers.

240.20(B) and 240.20(B)(2)

Yup I should have included that