Almost Fell Through

Originally Posted By: Ben Gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Today, I inspected a hole for a house. There were multiple layers of shingles, possibly four layers on one section of the house asphalt shingle roof. One section of the roof was over the rear screened porch. When looking from the ridge, the roof appeared to be in good shape, a little old and curling, but sound. But the porch roof was not readily accessible from the rest of the house roof. So I decided to get down and look from below (from inside the porch).

Holy Cow Pati. The roof structure was unsound. Rafters and the deck were rotted away from prior roof leaks. There were sections of the rafters that were sagging in pieces. Mold and fungi was growing on the underside of the porch roof structure - that's how bad it was.

How does one inspect a roof without falling through?
Please don't say that you don't walk on the roof, or ya use binoculars? That's bogus.
:o

--
Benjamin John Gromicko
Vice-President,
PEACH Inspections
NACHI & ASHI Member

Originally Posted By: rwills

Simple, I place my ext. ladder and check the shingles first, how many layers, age, etc. I leave the ladder there and finish inspection including framing and sheathing from inside. Before I leave I make one last trip up the laderr and walk around. Kepp in mind this is only if I’m suspicious of the roof in the first place. Bottom line : Never can be too careful!

Bob Wills - MAB Chairman

BW Inspection Services

Warminster, Pa.

http://www.bwinspections.com

Originally Posted By: jmyers

If the roof is in that bad of shape, why do you have to walk on it in the first place. NO matter if you walk on it or not, it needs replaced or repaired.

Joe Myers

A & N Inspections, Inc.

http://anii.biz

Originally Posted By: Morgan Audetat

Sorry, not me. I believe “major” defects can be detected from the ground or the attic. When I was young I loved to get up on roofs but I was installing plumbing flanges and lining chimneys. You only need to fall off once.

ma

Morgan,

First off, welcome to NACHI.

Have you ever fallen off a roof?

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: Morgan Audetat

icon_lol.gif

No, but I have fallen off a ladder, a horse, a boat...well you get the idea.

Thanks for asking, and thanks for the welcome.

MA

Morgan,

I do the walk on roof inspections but I will only go on them if my little telescoping ladder will take me there 12 feet at a time. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

JOE MYERS<------------big chicken

Joe Myers