Inspecting roofs

Originally Posted By: Danny Armstrong
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I just wanted to get some feedback from the other inspectors here.

Do you or don’t you go onto roofs to inspect? There are some companies that specifically say they do and some do not. It could open up a can a worms if perhaps, you go up, step on a loose shingle knocking it off then slip and ride down the hard way. The company I work for generaly doesn’t walk the roof unless there is cause to investigate something that can’t be determined from the ground w/binoculars or from the attic.

In the case above, you would be liable for the repair of the roof and your own hind end.

Danny

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Danny,

In my agreement with the buyer it states that the inspector is not required to walk on any roof if in the inspectors opinion it may damage the roof or be unsafe for the inspector. A good rule of thumb is also, if you aren't comfortable on a roof, don't get on it.

With that said, I believe that to do a complete and proper roof inspection, the roof should be walked. I have caught many defects by walking that I would not have seen with binoculars. I do not walk on tile or slate roofs because they are easily damaged, and in the case of slate, a loose slate that comes out from under your foot could ruin your whole day. On these types of roof, my preference is to view the roof from a ladder at the eves in several locations.

You are absolutely correct about what happens if you damage the roof, but the same can be said anywhere in the home. You break it, you pay to fix it.

Blaine ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Originally Posted By: Bill Emelander

I want to agree with Blaine, If you can do it safely without damage you walk the roof. There have been many times I would have missed something had I not gone up.

Bill

Originally Posted By: pdacey

I agree.

I make every attempt to walk the roof as long as conditions permit.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Originally Posted By: psabados

Danny

The house is two stories high with a high ceiling walk out basement. Grade slopes down hill from the rear to the dwelling

Think you could see this from the ground below. Almost 30 feet high at the rear dwelling

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/Pict1005.JPG

Fresh semi gloss paint at the underside of the well made it look real nice.

Walk em when you can otherwise be prepared for a call from an unhappy client.

Paul

Thanks for the response. I share your opinions on this. I think you should at least view from a closer perspective with an extension ladder from the eves or gables.

Danny

Paul, thats a great example. With the Harry Homeowner caulking job on the skylight and broken shingle tabs. I can tell I’m going to spend a lot of time looking around this site!

Danny