Roof Inspections

Originally Posted By: Terry Porter
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

How many here walk the roof during their inspection?

I live in the DFW metroplex and am currently training for my license. The more I read and the more I ask questions, it seems to me that many rely upon a visual inspection from the ground level.

In my particular area, most roofs are a minimum of 8/12, and to be honest, walking on my own roof sucks. I have also heard many ins companies don't like to insure if walking roofs.

Just looking for some insight.

Originally Posted By: Guest

I walk every roof that’s safe to walk. Everyone will have a different method of inspection. It’s inarguable that as good a job can be done from the ground or eave.

Originally Posted By: jpope

I’ll always respect the decision to stay off of a roof when conditions make it unsafe, however, many things cannot be seen from a ground or perimeter inspection.

These pictures are from a four year old, second story tile roof.

![](upload://hmSyOkgbIXFDtAjhRfJvflkx9XM.jpeg)

This next picture shows a 54" wide chimney. with no cricket.

None of these defects were visible from the ground. So if you don't walk the roof, be sure you thoroughly disclaim that part of your inspection. There's no telling what you may have missed.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: rwashington

Binoculars are a good resource. You can prop your ladder up against the home if there is something you need a closer look at without having to walk the roof. Thats my 2 cents worth.

Richard W Washington

www.rwhomeinspections.com

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I walk every roof that is safe, or that I won’t damage. 8/12 is fine, just be careful. I don’t walk on tile roofs though. At 250 lbs +/- , even though I know how to walk on them, a terrible crunching sound happens from time to time and I don’t like paying for roof repairs.

Originally Posted By: rchoreyii

I walk on them, out here in the south west we have many flat roofs with evaporative coolers on them. It is hard to inspect the cooler from the parapet walls. Plus with 300 days of sunshine the roof penetrations really need to be looked at. The sun is really hard on roof componets here. A lot of roofs here are tarred and the sun cracks the tarring over time.

Ron Chorey

LAS CRUCES Home Inspections

rchorey@comcast.net

rchoreyii@nm.nachi.org

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

New Mexico,

Now there is a state that I have not visited yet. Maybe in the future my travels will lead me there. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

Originally Posted By: chorne

Some people are just plain sleazy!!!

any roof can be seen from the ground with field glasses
and if any part of it cannot be note it and move on.

It is better from on the roof but if you are not able because
of pitch than explain that to the client before you start
the inspection.

Ps. If you don't have time for golf because you are too
busy working, just do what I do where those spikes and
scale it!! (kidding)