ALTERED RAFTERS AND PURLINS

Originally Posted By: mwest
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

You can not alter the main ceiling rafters and purlin supports to install a chimney vent pipe, can you??? look at this its new construction with old wood supports

This cant be right

Originally Posted By: jpope

Yes, you can, and you may.

Jeff Pope

JPI Home Inspection Service

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: hgordon

Michael,

Jeff is correct...I believe he was also banking on the fact that you understand so long as you said something like:

MAJOR CONCERN: Roof trusses have been altered, sacrificing their integrity. Trusses should not be modified without special engineering of additional support as suggested by a Structural Engineer. Have the contractor who cut the trusses provide the Engineer's drawings and recommendations regarding the alteration that was done. Void of that, have a Structural Engineer further evaluate this condition. Be aware that repairs may be needed and should be completed based on the Structural Engineer's recommendation.

--
Harvey Gordon
SE Florida NACHI Chapter - President
hgordon@fl.nachi.org

Originally Posted By: rfarruggia

truss?

I don’t see no stinking truss.

Originally Posted By: hgordon

OOOpppSSS…dar, hit the wrong key…

MAJOR CONCERN: Rafters have been altered, sacrificing their integrity. Rafters should not be modified without special engineering of additional support as suggested by a Structural Engineer. Have the contractor who cut the rafters provide the Engineer's drawings and recommendations regarding the alteration that was done. Void of that, have a Structural Engineer further evaluate this condition. Be aware that repairs may be needed and should be completed based on the Structural Engineer's recommendation.

--
Harvey Gordon
SE Florida NACHI Chapter - President
hgordon@fl.nachi.org

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Michael,

Please change the picture to a link instead of an inline image. It's huge and people have to scroll left to right to read the messages.

Not to mention what the dial up guys have to go thru just by clicking on the thread and having to automatically wait for the picture to download without a choice.

Rafters can be changed. Don't know that they necessarily did it right in this case, but it can be done.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: lewens

In the very least the rafter should have been headed off and boxed. My grandfather is turning over in his grave. I’ve seen butcher jobs but this one really takes the cake. This is most likely tin basher work, if it’s in my way cut the damn thing.

Just my, as you have come to realize, humble opinion.

Larry

Just my usual 12.5 cents

From The Great White North Eh?
NACHI-CAN
www.aciss-brant.com
www.certifiedadulttrainingservices.com/

Originally Posted By: rfarruggia

I kind of pride myself on nitpicking, but Harvey, this is just a rafter. No need for a structural engineer here.

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all,

I tend to agree, I think calling for a structural engineer in this application is somewhat of an overkill, however the roof structure does look incredibly light and I would at least expected to see the Aperture boxed.

I think this would be the minimum based on the fact that the rafters appear to be 24 in. on center, obviously the timbers used to effect a repair are very much an afterthought and do warrants repair by the very least a decent framing contractor.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: ccoombs

The framing on this roof does look light. I would need to see more of the house/roof to make a call. It might have very light roofing material…but what if they add additional layers of roofing? Also, the extra weight of the chimney.

At a minimum I would expect the cut joist to be headed out. It looks like they cut the collar tie, so I would suggest adding a tie at each adjacent roof rafter. I would also double up the roof rafter on each side.

I think the referral to an engineer would depend on the area. Some areas don't require structural engineering, just a competent contractor. Other areas, like Southern California were I live, an engineer is decently a good call (and my business is grateful!).

The worst part of that condition, is it would have been avoided with a minor bend/offset in the flue.

--
Curtis