Alternative energy inspections

does anyone out there inspect solar panels and if so what all does it consist of? I have an agent that is asking if I can inspect these.

I have installed many in the past and now days I simply refer them to a qualified professional because they have the expertise to inspect them…systems change all the time :wink:

I have a home with a fire suppression system in it this morning and, aside from any oblious visual defects, I will defer it.

my business partner is a state licensed building inspector and he also installed them years ago. so I am in limbo of what to do

As larry mentioned there is a lot of different products out there as well as a lot of different configurations to intsall them depending on what you are trying to achive.

If you send me an email I can reply with an attachement of a 31 page guide to inspecting PV systems but I caution you this is really only the tip of the iceberg.

got your e-mail. does anyone else have anything?

Sandia National Labs has some free publications for PV systems. I have their "Maintenance and Operation of Stand-Alone PV Systems (1991) as well as the Handbook of Recommended Design Practices (2003). Both manuals are a couple of hundred pages long. Their website is www.sandia.gov/pv

Great link.

Robert,

What type of panel do you need to inspect?

http://www.nachi.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12339&highlight=solar

Robert, you won’t become qualified to inspect PV panels from a few downloads. If you submit a report, you’ll take on liability you won’t be qualified to carry and why would you want to do that?

PV systems can produce enough energy to kill a person. If you want to make money inspecting these systems, get training and become qualified, but don’t gamble with other’s lives.

Here’s a linkto an organization which provides training.

Not real sure an agent asked if we could inspect them. and I told him I would look into it and get back with him. I am trying to figure out what I need to do.

Great link.

I developed relationships with local installers and sub them out.

31-page PDF is what convinced me that it takes more than some serious home study to be qualified to inspect them.