Aluminum Wiring

In the attached pics it appears the there is aluminum wire leading to the 220 circuits. I was surprised to see this since the house was built in 1984. What recommendations would you suggest?

Aluminum wire for the 220 circuits are fine…
It is the Panel that is BAD
Federal Pacific Stab-Lok

Yes, “stranded” AL conductors are okey-dokey! :wink:

Thanks for the responces, but why do insurance companies frown on aluminum wiring in the house?

Only solid aluminum, and then only certain companies, and under certain circumstances.

Greg, please don’t take this the wrong way, but where did you train for this profession?

Rule of thumb… (there’s always exceptions)…

Solid AL = Bad
Stranded AL = Okay

In Illinois we are required to:

“Report on the presence of solid conductor aluminum branch circuit wiring”

FPE stab-lok panel, known to have problems.
Conduit through concentric knock out, no connector, improper install.
Garbage in bottom of panel.

I agree with the others, this panel has issues but the stranded Al isn’t one of them. Personally I would change out any FPE panel immediately. :smiley:

Fire potential, they mitigate liability by not insuring until upgrades or rewire are completed, once issues are identified. Odds in their favor of fewer loss payouts and more profit in their pocket.

This article may provide a better understanding…

BB: Regardless of where or how much training/experience one has, we all can and should continue to learn and assist whenever possible.

Fire potential, they mitigate liability by not insuring until upgrades or rewire are completed, once issues are identified. Odds in their favor of fewer loss payouts and more profit in their pocket.

This article may provide a better understanding…

Regardless of where or how much training/experience one has, we all can and should continue to learn and assist whenever possible.

The following is what the insurance industry states to place in all commercial clients insurance inspection results that have aluminum wire of suspect panels…

Federal Pacific brand panel- You have a Federal Pacific electrical panel or panels installed in your building. It has been found that some of these panels have failed to provide proper protection, as they may have a tendency to overheat and cause a fire. To reduce this exposure it is recommended that a qualified electrical contractor replace Federal Pacific brand panels with another brand that has a current UL listing and which provides improved protection and reliability.

(or)

Zinsco Electrical brand panel- You have Zinsco electrical panels in your building. Many Zinsco panels contain a design flaw which can cause arcing and subsequent overheating. Long term exposure to this heat can cause the breaker to fuse to the bus bar, making it impossible to remove. Even worse, it can cause the breaker’s contacts to fuse together, thus preventing the breaker from tripping even in an over current situation, thereby causing a potential fire hazard. To reduce this exposure a qualified electrical contractor should replace Zinsco brand panels with another brand that has a current UL listing and which provides improved protection and reliability.

As far as aluminum branch circuit wiring they ask that it be noted in any insurance reporting and since that panel would have to be more than 30 years old they require replacement.

Jeff Zehnder
Cary, NC

Does that hold true for residental as well?

Great article thanks Barry!

Are you saying that by default all aluminum branch circuit wiring is more than 30 years old?

“commercial clients insurance inspection”

No, I was just wondering if the information you provided related to residental clients as well as commercial.

I think what he’s saying is the panel would require replacement and not the aluminum wiring. Aluminum wiring, as we all know, can be unsafe. Were I to buy I home with it I would likely examine connections to determine presence, or lack of, ALR rated receptacles and antioxidant grease. I mean I would have a licensed electrical contractor do that for me.

Paste used at AL connections contains no grease, since grease inhibits electricity. Products such as Nolox are silicon based with zinc. The zinc’s purpose is to act as an anode to prevent corrosion at connection points.

Antioxidant grease, paste, compound, goop…whatever you get the point.

BTW someone once asked me if the black stuff on those wires was mold.