Always amazed, never surprised

Got a call last night from previous client from 2 months ago. Stated the dishwasher stopped working and when he pulled it out he found no drain line:shock:. I was confused as to how this could be because I checked for a drain line under the sink and tested the dishwasher with nothing unusual found…Then it made sense when I got to the home.

Kitchen is above an inaccessible crawlspace (disclaimed crawlspace in report and recommended an opening be installed for inspection/maintenance).

Dishwasher was 1-2 years old. Home sat vacant for over 1 year. Client started using the dishwasher upon moving in and continued until it stopped working (1 month use)

The find: I went to the home today and found a Bosch dishwasher. Bosch uses a condensate vent tube that attaches on the side of the dishwasher…it is made of the same material as a dishwasher drain line. The installer put this condensate vent line into the standpipe for the dishwasher drain; therefore, upon inspection it appeared to have a drain line. Dishwasher was ran on rinse cycle at time of inspection with nothing unusual noted.

The drain is actually in the back of the dishwasher and no hose was present when the client pulled out the dishwasher. It was draining through a hole it made in the drywall and was draining into the inaccessible crawlspace which has open dirt floor and sits on post. Water disrupted the insulation under the floor in the crawlspace which resulted in the supply water line freezing (-25 the other morning), which is what caused the dishwasher to stop working.

I just had to share this odd story. In the end my client understood that I had no way of determining this during the inspection and acknowledged that I recommended having an access made to the crawlspace for inspection/servicing which would have resulting in finding the issue.

Whoever installed the dishwasher made a big oops! Sorry for the long story but I had to share.:smiley:

WOW!

Thanks for the story.

So glad our State is putting wording in the SOP to hand our asses on the line for crap like that. Since we must test then it will be assumed to be our responsibility for all issues even ones not visible or normal.

Yeah… licensing.

So glad you fools who wanted it got it. You will be the ones with the issues NOT ME :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing…

Thanks Troy I always appreciate a chance to learn.

Feel the waste line next time while in rinse and drain cycle. Again I am not saying you should be responsible for this but it does work if you can.

Best part of that story was the client had enough common sense to understand.

Good advice…and a simple step to ensure this odd condition doesn’t happen again.

[QUOTEBest part of that story was the client had enough common sense to understand.]

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. He called and expressed his concerns. I went to evaluate the situation and explained why it was not found. He was frustrated to the situation; however, understood the reasoning.

Interesting story and just goes to show, just when you think you’ve seen it all …

You did the right thing by going back & helping him figure it out.

Thanks for sharing…