Another choice for you democrates out there.

Originally Posted By: jbehling
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/americas/11/15/canadian.welcome.ap/index.html

![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Copied from the article:

SEATTLE, Washington (AP) -- Rudi Kischer wants to help those Americans who have the post-election blues after U.S. President George W. Bush's second-term victory.

The Vancouver, British Columbia, immigration lawyer plans seminars in three U.S. cities -- Seattle, San Francisco and Los Angeles -- to tell Americans frustrated with Bush's re-election that the grass is greener north of the border.

And that's not just an allusion to Canada's lenient marijuana laws.

"We started last year getting a lot of calls from Americans dissatisfied with the way the country is going," Kischer says. "Then after the election, it's been crazy up here. The Canadian immigration Web site had 115,000 hits the day after the election -- from the U.S. alone. We usually only get 20,000 hits."

There was so much interest that a Vancouver-based Internet company, Communicopia, set up a new Web site this month -- www.canadianalternative.com -- to suggest Canada as a viable option for its American clients, including anyone concerned about constitutional bans on gay marriage passed in 11 U.S. states this month.

"We invite you to get to know Canada," the site says. "Explore the richness and diversity of our regions. And find out why Canada is the perfect alternative for conscientious, forward-thinking Americans."

Another Web site urges Canadians: "Open your heart, and your home. Marry an American. Legions of Canadians have already pledged to sacrifice their singlehood to save our southern neighbours from four more years of cowboy conservatism."

Canada suddenly has utopian appeal for many left-leaning Americans. Its universal health care, gay rights, abortion rights, gun-control laws, drug laws, opposition to the Iraq war, ban on capital punishment and ethnic diversity mirror many values of the American left.

Immigrants, including an estimated 1 million Americans, make up nearly 20 percent of Canada's population. The United Nations named Toronto the world's most multicultural city.

And, as Michael Moore pointed out in "Bowling for Columbine" -- required viewing for many lefties -- in Canada there's apparently no reason to lock your door.

On the other hand, it's cold. The baseball's not very good -- so long, Expos. And the taxes are higher, eh?

But, as one American who has his bags nearly packed likes to say, at least the taxes go toward good causes.

"I just like their way of life a lot better, and with everything the Bush administration has done -- for the American people to give him their seal of approval, it's basically the last straw," says Ralph Appoldt, a resident of Portland, in Oregon, a state that narrowly supported Democrat John Kerry for president.

"Canada's basic population is much more intelligent, polite and civilized,"Appoldt said. "I like their way of government a lot better. Their tax dollars go to helping those who need it, instead of funneling money back up to the wealthy and feeding this huge military-industrial machine."

Appoldt, 50, a sales manager, and his wife, a nurse, figure that selling their house and getting their immigration approved could take more than a year. But they're moving, they insist. They've already hired Kischer to help them.

Though he may see a good business opportunity following the election, Kischer has no illusions of a mass American exodus to Canada.

Americans have to follow the same procedures as everybody else -- including the $500 (387 euro) application fee, the $975 (755 euro) landing tax, and the wait of six months to two years.

He only expects about 100 people at each of the how-to-move-to-Canada seminars, all scheduled in Democratic-leaning areas -- December 4 in Seattle, December 5 in Los Angeles and December 6 in San Francisco.

Nancy Bray, a spokeswoman for Citizenship and Immigration Canada, said her agency's Web site received 261,000 hits from the United States in the two days following the election, but it'll be many months before officials can guess how many of them were serious.

"Our interest, our goal, is to attract the best possible immigrants," Bray says. "If there's a lot of publicity about our country, that's to our benefit. But we're not interested in people's political leanings or political dissatisfaction."

Jason Mogus, Communicopia's chief executive, said that while his company wanted to help interested Americans, moving to Canada should be plan B.

"We strongly encourage Americans to stay and build a culture in line with their values," Mogus said. "In other words, stay and fight."

WHY MOVE TO CANADA?
Reasons to move to Canada, as cited by www.canadianalternative.com:

1. Canada has universal public health care.

2. Canada has no troops in Iraq.

3. Canada signed the Kyoto Protocol environmental treaty.

4. More than half of Canada's provinces allow same-sex marriage.

5. The Canadian Senate recommends legalizing marijuana.

6. Canada has no law restricting abortion.

7. Canada has strict gun laws and relatively little violence.

8. The United Nations has ranked Canada the best country to live in for eight consecutive years.

9. Canada abolished the death penalty in 1976.

10. Canada has not run a federal deficit since 1996-97.

Source: The Associated Press

Originally Posted By: kdemski

No thanks. Despite our problems, there’s no better country than good 'ol USA.

Originally Posted By: rwashington

Let’s see. I think I agree with #10 only.

Richard W Washington

www.rwhomeinspections.com

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Those look like the top ten reasons not to go to Canada to me icon_lol.gif

Originally Posted By: dfrend

Canada has troops??? icon_eek.gif

Tough crowd icon_rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted By: dfrend

Just bustin’ your chops. icon_biggrin.gif Hey, most Americans love this country, even if they dislike the current leader. Those that don’t, you can have.

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store

www.homeinspectorstore.com

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

http://www.newsmaxstore.com/nms/showdetl.cfm?&DID=6&Product_ID=1737&af_id=975

Nick Gromicko

Founder

dues=79cents/day.

I much prefer email to private messages.

Originally Posted By: psmothers

Great Shirt!

Now I know what to get my liberal friends for Christmas!

Foxe Smothers

"Its not a matter of will we rebuilt it is matter of how soon..."

"A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Originally Posted By: rmoore

Top Ten Reasons NOT to move to Canada?

#1 You actually can?t get Canadian bacon there.

#2 Football has 110 yards and only 3 downs. What?s next?5 bases and 2 strikes?

#3 Kilometers and the whole metric system. Let?s face it?our math skills suck and having to convert everything to something we understand is just a pain.

#4 Bilingual product labeling. There?s not enough room in the average American?s head for more than one language, so who needs a French lesson on the Cornflakes box.

#5 The national anthem. Oh Canada just doesn?t have the big finish to screw with like the Star Spangled Banner.

#6 (only for smokers) A carton of cigarettes cost more than a small car.

#7 Curling is regularly televised!

#8 Many bowling alleys only have 5 pins and small balls with no finger holes.

#9 Vinegar is considered a condiment.

#10 Did I mention that French people live there?

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Jealousy will get you no where… icon_lol.gif

Canadians are a proud bunch as well, and we love everyone (even our French citizens )- that's what makes us who we are

Oh, and I will add the most important reason to move here - Our beer is wayyyyyyyyyyyy better

Cheers !

Originally Posted By: jstewart1

deleted

Hey guys I found the bumper sticker you need for your inspection vehicles. icon_lol.gif

http://www.cafepress.com/politics/browse/Nao-1_Ntk-All_CMP-KNC-google_No-1_N-0_Ntt-canada_pv-kyleschmidt.13518408

or

http://www.cafepress.com/politics/browse/Ntt-canada_p-2_N-0_pv-rightnation.14524729_No-1_Ntk-All_Nao-1_CMP-KNC%3dgoogle

or, the new NACHI mousepad promotion..

http://www.cafepress.com/politics/browse/Ntt-canada_p-6_N-0_pv-bandbum1.14501520_No-1_Ntk-All_Nao-1_CMP-KNC%3dgoogle

sorry guys, slow day ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Originally Posted By: jstewart1

I have to agree with you on the beer. The fishing is pretty good too. But right about now I think Ill stay here

And by the way, you can keep your black flies, and your Quebeccers.

I love Ontario. Dont care much for your P.M.

Worst 2 days of my life were spent in Montreal, anywhere west of Quebec is great.

Never been to the maritimes, love B.C.

Had one of my alltime best times on Manitoulin Island fishing on Georgian Bay.

Have to say that the discourse between you canucks is more civil than ours.

I do think that if worst came to worst you would stick with us. I do believe that.

![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif) ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif) ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)