Another reason to get on the roof

And so was this one.

:slight_smile:

WTF is that marcel? It looks like a zipper! no 4 inch seperation there
What kind of shingles are in pic 1 on the left? are those called 1 tab shingles?

Yup, regular IKO single tab, and 3 different types on the roof.

The 2" 3 tab offset was a new one for me.

The owner said, I can’t believe it is not installed per Manufactures Instructions, my Brother in Law did it. LOL.

Did this one this Fall.

That’s a classic case of stupid. :slight_smile:

I had one in early 2013 where they provided the proper offset but instead of stair stepping the shingles they alternated them similar to what Marcel showed. Every 3 feet across the roof there was a crack through the shingles running from the top of the roof down to the bottom. :shock:

I am a former roofer, and have replaced hundreds of roofs. Got me through college in the 70’s.

It is not possible to check every shingle tab for proper fastening, so why write up the defect, especially if the roof is over 10 years old, and no missing tabs? An attorney will ask that question. Temperatures have to get up to at least 100 degrees to seal the tabs. Many northern areas never reach these temps, so they may always be loose. This also can be an SOP issue, as we do not (at least most of us) will not move or dismantle anything to inspect the item/area.

That is a good narrative, Sean, but care should be used here, when a roof replacement can run into the tens of thousands, and the home seller will scream at your findings. You will then cause the buyer to walk, the REA to loose their commissions, the mortgage company to loose their revenue, etc. etc.

[quote=“gfarnsworth, post:25, topic:83379”]

It is not possible to check every shingle tab for proper fastening, so why write up the defect, especially if the roof is over 10 years old, and no missing tabs?

I never do write it up as a defect. I pass it over to the roofer and let them make the decision. A further evalaution advised catagory.

Last time I checked Gary, none of the persons listed above hired me to do the inspection. In the past I found most of the time the roofs are usually put on fairly correct or really bad. If the roof blows off 3 months after the buyer moves in they may be pissed as well. It only takes 1 storm.

Know what ya mean Sean

Now that one I would write up as defective.

How would you know from the ground?..for the guys who use cameras and a telephoto lens? :wink:

Multiple shingles shifting. That’s classic nailing defect or failure. Just sayin

But you can’t get that sweet video from the ground. :slight_smile: